Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onboard Graphics Failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shockwav86

Shockwav86

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

I have a Dell Dimension e310 that will not boot at all, not even into bios. The monitor stays in standby and lights 2 and 4 are lit on the front of the tower which translates to onboard graphics failure. I tested the power supply and everything checks out fine. It has a PCI express x1 slot free, I bought a card for it and installed it and the same thing occurs. I cleared the cmos and still didnt solve the problem. The card is seated correctly as the fan on it spins when I turn the power on. Please help. Is there anyway to disable the onboard video without being able to boot to anything at all? Thank you in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:52 PM

If you purchased a graphics card, chances are it was a PCI-Express x16, not an x1. Is the socket size very small (like an inch) or long (several inches)?

Make sure, after installing the graphics card, that you connect the cable from your monitor to the new output port on the card, not to the onboard graphics output port.

If you still do not see BIOS when booting with the onboard graphics card, it is possible that the DELL is built in such a way that it will not boot without working onboard graphics ... in which case you may need to replace your motherboard, or it may be time for a new computer altogether (though you can keep your hard drive to get the data off of it then use it as an extra hard drive, or go through steps to recover the data separately and only use that hard drive).

#3 Shockwav86

Shockwav86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 07:29 AM

It was an x1. I read the manual and that is what the motherboard has. Very short connector with a small break 1/3 of the way throught the connector. It fit right in no problem. At any rate, the problem has been rectified. I would like to show the conclusion so that if anyone else runs into this problem they will have a solution. Turns out, there was nothing wrong with the onboard video. Strange enough I removed the new video card and a telephone modem pci card that was plugged in and everything worked exactly as it did before the problem. Bizzare, I know, but fixed. Thank you for your $.02.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users