Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook 2003

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 betteboo57

betteboo57

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:49 AM

I hope this is in the right area for my question.

I needed to remove a large amount of files from my computer due to low disk space (nearly out of free space). I transferred all MY DOCUMENTS to an external hard drive and then deleted them. I also emptied the Recycle Bin.

NO I DID NOT FIRST BACK UP MY EMAIL. I know...DUMB!

I went to open up Outlook 2003 and it told me it could not because it couldn't find "april.pst" file. HUH?

I found this file on the external drive as the details were dated today. Well, ALL my folders and emails I had this morning are now GONE!

HELP!! Is there a way I can find ALL my emails and all folders??????

I can NOT believe I did this! PLEASE ANY INFORMATION WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

Thank you in advance,
BetteBoop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:03 PM

Please download and run Recuva to restore the files you deleted. This will hopefully bring your emails back, and also have used the Import Email function via File Menu?

#3 betteboo57

betteboo57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:21 PM

Please download and run Recuva to restore the files you deleted. This will hopefully bring your emails back, and also have used the Import Email function via File Menu?

Thank you for answering so promptly!
While I deleted them from my laptop hard drive, I did transfer all files to the external drive FIRST. (I am in the process of transferring them back)

I went to the site you suggested and am curious if the free version will help me?

Also, isn't there a place where my files are kept prior to backing up? In other words, when I open up outlook day after day (without backing up) all my emails are there. Where are those now?

Am I making sense?

Yes I did use the import from the file menu. I imported the one that said April...because the details had today's date. Unfortunately, that file was NOT up to date and it did not give me all my emails & folders....or my calendar....or my address book!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!

Edited by betteboo57, 27 October 2011 - 12:23 PM.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:45 PM

Yes the free version will work just as well as the paid version.

#5 betteboo57

betteboo57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:22 PM

Yes the free version will work just as well as the paid version.

THANKS! I'll give it a shot.

Do you have any idea where the file is? Remember, I did NOT back it up.

#6 betteboo57

betteboo57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Well it came up with tons of files....I have no idea which one I need. :(

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Outlook stores all of its data in one PST file. In your case it is april.pst.
The location of the file may vary depending on the version of Windows.
It is typically not in the My Documents folder by default.

What version of Windows are you running?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 betteboo57

betteboo57
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Outlook stores all of its data in one PST file. In your case it is april.pst.
The location of the file may vary depending on the version of Windows.
It is typically not in the My Documents folder by default.

What version of Windows are you running?

I am running XP Professional. I did find the april.pst file and imported it. However, it does NOT have all my folders, calendar appointments or contacts.

This morning before I transferred "My Documents" to the external hard drive, everything was there in outlook. When I opened outlook after, that's when I got the prompt for 'april.pst'.

I transferred everything back from the external drive and have searched endlessly for any and all pst files. I did run the recuva, and got a ton of files....but I have no clue which one will allow me to put back my outlook as it was this morning. I also thought about maybe restoring my computer and found there aren't any restore points!!!!!! NONE!!!

Like everyone, I have very important emails I need. (I am in the middle of planning a funeral and everything is in my emails!!)

Please, if you or anyone can help....
Bette

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:57 PM

System restore wont help you on this one as it is designed to recover critical Windows files only and not your data.
I dont have Outlook currently installed on the system that I am working on.

I dont think that your data file is deleted as it worked before you "tranfered" your data files from the My Documents folder. Exactly how did you go about doing that?

Is the april.pst folder in the My Documents folder on your external drive? if so, what is the date and byte size of the file? I would expect it to be fairly large if you have a lot of stuff in it.
If that file appears to be still intact put it in the My Docs folder of your hard drive. Then from Outlook click on the file menu and then import. Browse to the My Docs folder & it should see it. Tell it to import everything & see if that works.

Note: In my opinion I wouldnt use either Outlook or Outlook Express for anything that is important for the simple reason that Microsoft never made a good way to back up either program. If the data gets corrupted it is gone in many cases.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:05 PM

If by chance you get all your data back you can have a read here on how to manage your PST files: How to manage.pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users