Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Smitrem - Next Steps Ins Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Gotcha58

Gotcha58

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:20 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to get ride of SpywareStrike - I've downloaded smitRem.exe, extracted the files & run run the RunTHis.bat file to start the tool. It runs through all it's checks & then say to allow the cleanup tool to run which could take up to 3 hours. WHen I click OK, I'm taken back to the Desktop message that tells me Windows in running in safe mode and asks if I want to proceed in safe mode of use System Restore. I suppose I'm supposed to choose Yes, but when I do, nothing appears to be happening. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm running Windows XP Pro.

On a side note, this SpywareStrike thing should be criminal, how can a company get away with doing this to my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gotcha58

Gotcha58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:46 AM

Bump

Sorry to bump my own thread, but I really need help!

#3 Gotcha58

Gotcha58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:32 PM

Did I do something wrong here? WHy no answers? I need help folks

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:24 PM

Hello Gotcha58 and welcome to BC.

Our apologies for not responding more quickly. Let me get someone from the Hijack Team to have a look and you will be answered as soon as possible.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 jubajuice

jubajuice

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 10:04 PM

Hey i think you have the same problem as me... haha... so this will help me too...

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 02:37 AM

The first question the Hijack people who were apprised of this situation asked is was smitrem being run in Safe Mode? Did you boot to Safe Mode before running this tool?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#7 Gotcha58

Gotcha58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

The first question the Hijack people who were apprised of this situation asked is was smitrem being run in Safe Mode? Did you boot to Safe Mode before running this tool?

Yes, booted in Safe Mode, ran the tool, wound up as described above.

Sorry if I sounded whiney, but this is driving me NUTS!

#8 Gotcha58

Gotcha58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2006 - 08:14 AM

didn't know what to do, so I tried re-booting in normal mode to see if it was fixed & I cant seem to boot back up in anything BUT safe mode

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2006 - 11:23 AM

Go to How to start Windows in Safe Mode and in the XP section ensure that you don't have SafeBoot checked in the Boot.ini section.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users