Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New hard drive not recognized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 erringment

erringment

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

I'm trying to replace the hard drive in my Compaq Presario R3200 Athlon 64 laptop and do a clean install of XP. My failed hard drive is an 80GB ATA/IDE Hitachi. The new hard drive is 320GB PATA/EIDE Western Digital. I have no idea what I'm doing, so I thought I'd see how far I could get. When I choose to change the boot order, I get a screen that offers, among other thing, to enter setup. If I choose to Enter Setup I get sent to the PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility with the tabs "Main, Security, Advanced, Tools, and Exit" at the top. The only thing that I understand to do that I'm sure won't cause any unintentional damage is in the Tools tab where I have the one option, which is to execute "HDD Self-Test". The result of the test is "No IDE Device".

I have two disks, "Operating System CD; Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2", and "Application and Driver Recovery DVD". When I reboot with the OS CD in the drive, a bunch of files are loaded and I am given the choice to install XP, repair XP, or to quit without installing. When I choose to install I get the message "Setup did not find any hard drives installed on your computer". Also included on the page is the statement that I may have to run a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program. Might this be a reference to Automated System Recovery?, which I don't have.

Obviously the new hard drive is not being recognized. This was not foretold by its installation, which was routine, uneventful, and without incident. Tech support at CompUSA said it was probably a motherboard issue. Does this sound right? Does anyone have any other answers?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

Compaq...is responsible for detemining what your reinstallation options are...and how they work...unless you have a purchased MS Windows CD which can be used to do the reinstallation.

If the two disks you mention...came with that system...you need to review the procedures for using such.

Since this is a laptop...I assume that you have disks provided by Compaq.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=425696&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00006110

Your System's Support Webpage

If both hard drives are PATA/IDE...then I would check the jumper settings you currently have on the new drive. Typical jumper settings should be as prescribed by the hard drive manufacturer.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981/c/123/session/L3RpbWUvMTMxOTczMzc5OC9zaWQvQ0x5YWJESGs%3D

Louis

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:47 AM

See if this tutorial from Compaq helos. It shows you how to replace the hard drive.

Another possibility is that the system BIOS will not support a drive of that size but am unable to confirm that yet.
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users