Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not Recognizing Mouse On Startup - Sometimes!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bboyer32

bboyer32

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:43 AM

I recently had to completely wipe my hard drive clean and reinstall everything onto my computer. Upon startup, my computer doesn't always recognize my mouse. The mouse pointer is on the screen, but it won't move. If I restart, then it might recognize it. It's very intermittent. I've tried connecting it to different USB ports, and the same thing happens. I did not need to install a driver for the mouse for it to work, so I don't think it's a driver issue, but not really certain. Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MJB1066

MJB1066

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:45 AM

Have you tried another mouse?
Try that first.

Sounds like it could be a hardware problem.

Also, if you can, find an updated driver for the mouse.

#3 bboyer32

bboyer32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:04 AM

I can try that, but I don't think it's the mouse. The mouse always worked perfectly prior to the reinstall of Windows XP. It only started immediately after the install.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

You're gonna need keyboard shortcuts for this - but go into Device Manager when the mouse freezes and see what it's got to say about the mouse during the time that it's not operating.

There's 2 things that have caused this on my system:

1) The connection. My mouse is a USB mouse, then I use an adapter to convert it to PS2, then I plug it into my KVM switch, which in turn plugs into my system. At times one or the other connection will wiggle a bit loose and checking the connections will make the mouse operational.

2) Corrupted mouse drivers. Your mouse needs a driver to work - when you don't install one, it uses the default one that's built into Windows. Installing a mouse driver will prevent you from using the built-in one and sometimes fixes the problem for me.

Other thoughts:

1) You could try copying the mouse driver from your install CD and see if that fixes it.

2) Other options (although pretty drastic) are SFC.EXE, a repair install, and a format and reinstall

Edited by usasma, 30 January 2006 - 09:25 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users