Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Wi Fi woes! TP-Link TL-WA701ND

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RiXX1_7777

RiXX1_7777

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hi there,

I have been attempting to set up a TP-Link TL-WA701ND wireless router for about a week now and I unable to get more than one device to connect to it at any one time.

The main computer in the house is running XP and has been connected to the modem via a cable for the past year, the modem is from Virgin ('08 model) who supply the internet. (Im pretty sure its optical.) I have not run MiniToolBox as am at work but can do at home later if need be.

I connect to the router no worries through the browser using a static IP address, adjust the settings, reboot it then attach the wire from the modem. However we can only ever get one device to connect at a time - we are using 2 phones (iPhone & Android), a Macbook and an iPad. I am sure this is down to a simple setting on the router which will allow more than one device on the network but I am stuck as to what this is, the manual makes reference to SSID but this looks slightly more technical than we need?

We did used to be on wireless till an old router started to fail so I think the router / internet side of things are ok - I spoke to Virgin's tech support team who said the router was working fine and WiFi should work with it.

Anyhow if any of you folks could help me I would be super grateful as I am well and truly stumped!

Rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:06 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:54 AM

You have an online manual here http://www.tp-link.com/english/soft/200912243135419.pdf
Page 22, Wireless settings. Follow the settings found on the pages.

Tekken

#3 RiXX1_7777

RiXX1_7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:15 AM

Thanks for this, the manual has been my first point of reference whilst setting up the AP, I'm looking for trouble shooting advice from anyone who has experience of router settings or of this particular router if possible.

With thanks,

Rich

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:24 AM

Usually on wireless, as secured and broadcast, the devices or gadgets will look for the connection or going to the network settings. Knowing the SSID and the password, you will configure to connect automatically(if not on most computers or on every gadgets)by entering a PRE shared key or password. So that when you go wireless, it will automatically connect without having to enter any password and search for the home wireless connection.

Edited by jhayz, 27 October 2011 - 09:25 AM.

Tekken

#5 RiXX1_7777

RiXX1_7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:11 AM

Yes Jhayz, you point out about how to connect to the AP from gadgets which is useful to those unused to using wireless devices.

However my question is specifically about the router settings which may be preventing the gadgets from receiving the internet (which have already found the SSID and had the password inputted, but seem unable to find an IP address to connect to.)

I suspect that this may be the way the AP assigns different IP addresses to the devices by way of a dynamic IP address, but at the moment only assigns one. To this end I am reading up on DHCP settings and will look further into how the router assigns dynamic IP addresses but any information that relates specifically to the router and it's settings would be welcome.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

On a secured network set on a router or modem with wifi capabilities, there are types of secured password that should match or support to enable access on any network. Knowing that you were to able established the SSID and password correctly, the router's current security set (WEP, WPA, WPA-PSK) should match the computers or gadgets to be able to authenticate and gain complete access. IF your router is set on WPA security, then you must set all incoming hardware/adapter to WPA. If WEP then match the gadgets to WEP. See this link http://dis.mantle.me/blog/iphone-wont-connect-to-wpa-network/

Edited by jhayz, 27 October 2011 - 11:37 AM.

Tekken

#7 RiXX1_7777

RiXX1_7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

.....I unable to get more than one device to connect to it at any one time.

It does not matter which device we use, only one can connect at one time whether this is a iPhone, iPad, Macbook or G2/Desire Z.

I am using WPA-PSK/ WPA2-PSK - the iPhone connects fine (as do all devices) as it detects which security layer is in use and switches accordingly. What other devices can't do is then FIND AN IP ADDRESS.

#8 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

Why not post some screenshots of your router settings?

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

What other devices can't do is then FIND AN IP ADDRESS.

Can you connect wirelessly on those gadgets? I don't get what you mean about FIND AN IP ADDRESS. Could you clarify...

Tekken

#10 RiXX1_7777

RiXX1_7777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:46 AM

Hello,

So after a weekend of learning the basics about DHCP servers and assigning IP addresses we got all the devices to connect to the device, however as before only one device would actually be assigned an IP address and could access the internet.

I happened across a computer shop near where I live and the guy explained what was wrong - the TP-Link TL-WA701ND wireless device is not a router, it is an Access Point.... Now the difference is news to me but explains why so many people on Amazon were not using it as a router!

So please accept my sincere apologies for wasting your time on this (I've spent maybe 2 weeks on it now!) I have now ordered the TP-Link TL-WR741ND which IS a Wireless router and after all the homework I have done should have no problems setting it up.

If I do I'll probably jump out of a window!!

With Thanks,

Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users