Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which type of graphics card can I put?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 English Teacher

English Teacher

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Hi, I would like to upgrade my old computer a Windows XP Pro SP3, Pent 4 3GHz. It has a Radeon 9200 Pro family graphics card and a single 512MB stick of DDR memory.

Last year the graphics card started over heating and this was solved by a fan being installed on the card. Now the card is playing up again causing streaks on the screen but worse than that the computer won't boot. Sometimes I take the card out to move it about.
I know the the drivers for the card are outdated but I recently had to re-install (maybe due to the graphics card) and as I want to get this new card I don't see it worth the time and trouble. Anyway the computer was the same anyway!!

I've seen that there are VGA AGP and VGA PCI-E graphics cards and am confused. I'd like to try and get a video card with its own dedicated memory (if possible). A shop near me is the cheapest in my area. trasportogratis.com/home/art2/0/209/SCHEDE-VIDEO.html Which of these could be OK?

I'd also like to add more RAM as well, could I add the same type "DDR" maybe 2 sticks of 1 GB and keep the original 512MB stick?
I thank you in advance for your help.

Edited by English Teacher, 27 October 2011 - 08:19 AM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
If at first you do succeed, try not to look surprised.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

What computer model are you referring that you want to upgrade?

Tekken

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:16 AM

AGP graphics card are lot more expensive and more more limited options to choose from.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

The computer is a desktop and was built by the shop where I bought it. They made them to order or made some with the same specs themselves and sold at discounted prices. So my computer is not of any brand e.g. HP or Dell etc. This shop is no longer there. The computer is a little old being made in December 2004.
As for the AGP cards being expensive...I don't know what kind of card I have and neither know if I could put one of them (AGP or PCI-E) or not. That's why I'm asking here. All I know is that somebody told me to go with a card which has its own dedicated memory.
Once again thanks for the advice.
PS The computer has a 400w Switching Power Supply

Edited by English Teacher, 27 October 2011 - 10:11 AM.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.
Never argue with stupid people, they'll just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

If you have onboard graphics, you are still good to go. Adding RAM module is better. However, they are hard to find and more expensive I think.

Tekken

#6 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:42 PM

On the shop's website there are the following number of different types of Graphics Cards:
2 VGA AGP 512MB, 1 VGA AGP 1024MB, 11 VGA PCI-E 512MB, 18 VGA PCI-E 1024MB and 4 VGA PCI-E 2048MB.

As I've already said I'd like to know which of these are compatible with my Mother Board. I contacted ASROCK about 10 days ago but haven't received a reply yet.

I forgot to say that my mother board is an ASROCK P4V88. Sorry I edited the first post but copied over this info.... :crazy:

Edited by English Teacher, 27 October 2011 - 01:45 PM.

#7 lti

lti

• Members
  • 581 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:48 PM

That board only supports AGP graphics cards and has no onboard video.

#8 English Teacher

English Teacher
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 02:55 AM

That board only supports AGP graphics cards and has no onboard video.

So therefore I'd have to buy one of these cards:
GEFORCE 6200 with 512MB dedicated memory or SAPPHIRE ATI HD4650 with 1024MB dedicated memory is this correct?

Thanks for the help!! :thumbup2:

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:44 AM

Yes those card will work :thumbup2:

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users