Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Acer Iconia A100 and Linux/SD Storage

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:56 AM

I asked this in the tablet section and got no responses. So here's another try.

I have an Acer A100. The best tablet I've had yet. But I have a couple of things I can't resolve.

First off is connecting it to the linux machine. When I hook it up I get a number of IRQs assigned and dropped, but no mountable devices are ever shown up. I figure it's either a udev rule I don't have, or a driver I don't have, or the driver isn't compiled in. In either case I can't get it to connect properly. Meaning I need to move the SD card around to pass things back and forth.

Acer is no help. They have Acersync. But that's only for Windows and Mac. There's nothing at all in the numerous searches I've done that has a clue about what to do next, or if it's even possible to connect the two. I can't sync contacts or other things via SD card unless I use another program to back them up there, then move the card to a reader so I can copy it all to the linux netbook. A hassle at the very least.

It's unbelievable that someone would make a linux product that can't connect to linux. Not blatantly, anyway. Tomtom has done it with their GPS products, but that's not blatant because you can't even tell it's running linux. This is Android, linux in another form, using a linux kernel.

The other problem has to do with moving apps to SD. I can do that on my phone (Android 2.2.1). I can do that on the other tablets (Android 2.3 and 2.2.1). This one is Android 3.2, but that option seems to be missing. I get notifications that items can be moved to SD, but when I try there's no option to actually move them. I can access the card, but I can't move programs there and run them.

I'm not buying that this was removed in Android 3.2, so I'm guessing Acer took that out. Why, I don't know. Does anyone know of anything that can overcome this? Or am I going to be forced to root the tablet to see if I can make it behave properly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:29 AM

Hope this helps:
http://www.acertabletforum.com/forum/acer-iconia-tab-general-discussions/129-connecting-via-usb-linux-ubuntu.html

Edited by raw, 27 October 2011 - 09:30 AM.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:46 AM

I tried it. I can get it to mount. But I can't read/write to it. I can mount it as root and it still won't let me write to it. I tried to add a directory and it was refused, then I tried to add it as root and it said it already existed. Using 'df' showed it mounted, and the contents didn't show the directory that I was trying to create.

The first time I hooked it up it mounted itself and wouldn't let me write to it. I umounted it and mounted it again. Then 'df' would get the transport error mentioned in the same thread. I umounted, unplugged it, plugged it back in and mounted it as root. That's when it wouldn't let me write to it and it would tell me the directory existed on a subsequent attempt. But I didn't get the transport error, and I could see the contents. Right up until a umount/mount attempt. Then the error came back.

I install and use filerunner. I noticed that the directory I created in /media would disappear every time I got the transport error. Even so, I could mount/umount it over and over without any errors, even though 'df' would continue getting the transport errors.

I have other things to do, so I'll get back to this again later. At least I have a couple of steps forward.

Thanks for the link. I have no idea how I didn't find it when I used the search terms I tried. But I didn't..

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

I wanted to follow up on this since I found an answer.

I tried the one suggested and it wouldn't work for me. I found several other suggestions along the same line and those wouldn't work either. Then the tablet stopped charging and I had to send it back for repair.

In the interim, I bought a second one (one for my son). I fought with it for awhile before I got it to mount. But when it did it was really, really slow, and the only thing I saw was an empty directory called Playlists. I played with it off and on as time permitted and I was willing to put up with the torture. Finally, today, I stumbled on this page. It not only works, but it's much faster, and it shows all of the files on the card. I just backed the card up, and I'm copying some music to it now.

Now all I need to do is find a way to run apps from the SD card without having to root it first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users