Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My PC does not recognise a DVD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:55 AM

I have purchased a DVD called Driving Test All Tests for PC that is supposed to be suitable for XP, Vista and Windows 7.
I have two desktop computers, both with XP Pro 32 bit Service Pack 3 installed on them, but neither of them recognised the DVD in the drive.
I returned the DVD and got a replacement but the same thing happened.
I decided to try installing Windows 7 on a spare hard drive but still the DVD was not recognised.
I then tried using my neighbours laptop which instantly recognised the DVD.
So does anyone have any idea what might be causing my desktops not to recognised the DVD.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:35 AM

Hi, i guess the first question will have to be do they all recognize other dvd's

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:51 AM

Yes of course all other DVD's are recognized. I couldn't have installed Windows 7 on my spare hard drive if that was the case.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

I have two desktop computers, both with XP Pro 32 bit Service Pack 3 installed on them, but neither of them recognised the DVD in the drive.

I would agree with caperjac, that the first question Must have been do your 2 players recognise other DVDs, as all others seem to recognise them -

There are other ways of downloading Windows 7 direct from Microsoft, via the internet !!
>> "Yes of course all other DVD's are recognized" << Should have been ""Yes I have tested other DVDs and they do (or) do not work"".
We still do not have an exact full reply to caperjac yet -
Please test at least 2 independant DVDs (not CDs) in the drives and make sure they are recognised, or that you can install from there.

Thank You -
As an extra -
Did you follow the set of M/soft directions for installing Windows 7, also this seems to be in no way related to your current problem.

#5 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:04 AM

Sorry, I did not realize that Windows 7 could be installed without a DVD. But your right, I just tried playing two movie DVD's and they were not recognized either.

#6 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:08 AM

Just tried a different DVD drive but that made no difference.

#7 1up2down

1up2down
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

Problem solved, it just needed to clean the plug in socket at the back of the drive. Thanks all the same.

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:54 AM

Glad you got it working.
Not exactly something yo would think of right off either!
Good job! :thumbup2:
In the beginning there was the command line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users