Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which are the best Anti Spyware and Anti Malware programs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 solorize

solorize

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:33 AM

Hi,

I have just spent two nights removing the "Fake System Restore" virus from my girlfriends laptop
by following the guide on this site, so a big thankyou to whoever wrote the guide.

Now I want to make sure her laptop is protected as well as I can with free software.

I have installed; AVAST anti virus, Zone Alarm firewall and MalwareBytes onto the laptop,
but I now wonder if there are any other reccomended programs that I should install
to help avoid spyware, malware and viruses?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
..:[ MD Photography ]:..
http://www.mdunn.co.nr

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

I recommend taking advantage of the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (Pro) Protection Module in the full version which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology runs at startup where it monitors every process and helps stop malicious processes before they can infect your computer. Keep in mind that this feature does not guarantee something will not slip through as no product can detect and prevent every type of malware. The database that defines the heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Also keep in mind that Malwarebytes does not act as a real-time protection scanner for every file like an anti-virus program so it is intended to be a supplement, not a substitute.

IP Protection (malicious website blocking) is part of the Protection Module and works after it is enabled. When attempting to go to a potential malicious website, Malwarebytes will block the attempt and provide an alert. IP Protection is also designed to block incoming connections it determines to be malicious. Enabling the Protection Module feature feature requires registration and purchase of a license key that includes free lifetime upgrades and support. After activation, Malwarebytes can be set to update itself and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis. The Protection Module is not intrusive as the program utilizes few system resources and should not conflict with other scanners or anti-virus programs. If any conflicts between Malwarebytes and another security program are reported, suggested solutions are usually provided in the Common Issues, Questions, and their Solutions, FAQs thread.

I recommend using SUPERAntiSpyware Free as a separate stand-alone on-demand scanner. The free version does not provide real-time protection or scheduled scanning so there is no need for it to run at startup and waste system resources. This gives you another tool to use as a second opinion or in the event of malware infection where some of your tools may be disabled.

I also recommend using SpywareBlaster, a program that restricts the actions of potentially dangerous sites by adding a list of sites and domains associated with known spyware, advertisers and marketers to the browser's "Restricted Sites Zone". Click on Updates, then the Check for updates button. If any are found, download them all and click Enable Protection for All Unprotected items when finished. For more information, see SpywareBlaster System Requirements & Supported Browsers.

Important Tip: No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice safe computing and stay informed. Security begins with personal responsibility and following Best Practices for Safe Computing - Prevention.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

Mark,

Using a standard user account for your everyday browsing can help a lot.

Also Secunia PSI to keep your system and programs up to date.

You might be interested too in the Web of Trust (WOT) browser Add-on.

For disaster recovery (from infections etc.).
Use a system imaging program, you'll find it invaluable when things go wrong. Win7 has one built-in, though there are many Free and Paid alternatives available.

#4 solorize

solorize
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:47 AM

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions and explanations.

I will have a look over the weekend at the software etc..

Regards,

Mark
..:[ MD Photography ]:..
http://www.mdunn.co.nr

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,266 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Pietzki

Pietzki

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Just to add my two cents, you may want to take a look at Keyscrambler personal. It encrypts your keystrokes so even if the system gets infected, most keyloggers can't steal your login details etc.

Also, for the average user I think Filehippo Update Checker may be a better option than Secunia.

Edited by Pietzki, 02 November 2011 - 10:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users