Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect /w wireless after lower power state

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Marnim

Marnim

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:09 AM

Hello,

I use a RangeMax WN311B from Netgear to connect to the internet. I left my computer in a low power state for about 3 days. When I turned it back on, suddenly, I could no longer connect to the internet. The Windows diagnose feature states that the problems are unknown. I'm double-checked the settings for the connection within the WN311B wizard to make sure everything is in place. The adapter can still detect networks, but cannot connect to the home network, even after I input the password (the other networks have passwords, so I can't see if I can connect to them). Restarting the computer usually helps, but no matter how many times I do so, nothing happens.

I really have no idea what could cause this problem. I suspect that the low power state reconfigured my computer in some way. Anyway, if anyone could offer assistance as to why this is happening, it would greatly be appreciated.

Currently, I'm running Vista Ultimate, Service Pack 2.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:09 AM

Posting the computer model and how you connect(wired or wireless)would be better. Have you change power options to recommended settings?
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-networking/no-internet-connectivity-when-waking-from-low/8889db64-357f-4f16-824b-f4e91b01b0ce

Tekken

#3 Marnim

Marnim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

Thanks for the reply jhayz,

Yes, I've done everything on that page, although strangely enough, I can turn off my Ethernet but not the adapter itself.

How I typically connect to the internet is as follows:

I input the settings into the WN311B wizard, and input the name, security type, and password of the network, and it usually connects me automatically. Sometimes I have to manually do it myself by going to "Connect to a Network" on Windows and putting in the password. I usually have to do this when I bring the computer back from sleep mode, and when that doesn't work, restarting had always fixed the problem. Now, restarting does nothing, my wizard doesn't automatically connect, and whenever I try connecting manually, it says I can't; after running the diagnose setting, it just says the reasons are unknown. The only explanation I can think of as to why this is happening

The WN311B is a wireless adapter.

And I don't know what you mean when you say the model of my computer, do you mean my specs?

Thanks very much for your help.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:51 AM

WN311B

Ok, I see that its a desktop. Did you check the adapter's power management(tab)is checked in Properties to Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power? I actually had problems using sleep mode on desktops before, probably because of out dated hardwares but not on any laptops or notebooks. I've never used it again, sleep or hibernate.

Tekken

#5 Marnim

Marnim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:39 PM

That's just it: I went to the device manager, right-clicked into 'properties,' and there wasn't any option to turn it on or off, nor any such tab. Or am I doing it wrong?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

Its on the Network Adapter's Power Management.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users