Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

preparing for Java jre 7 u 1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:36 PM

Along the way of following Allan's advice for updating to newest Java RE, 7u1, I downloaded jre-7-u-win to desktop, just uninstalled old java version 6 #26 through Control Panel, Restarted computer, and then looked into the add-ons lists in my IE 8, Firefox 7.01, and Pale Moon 3.x-something browsers. I have not yet run the installer for 7u1 jre.

What I find is that IE 8 shows an add-on java plugin 2 SSV helper listed in the Manage Addons listing. There is an option shown to disable this, but why even listed still, I do not know. I uninstalled Java and restarted, so I would not expect the listing there. Firefox shows in its plugin listing in the Addons section, java deployment toolkit 6.0-something. There is an option to disable it, but since Jave was uninstalled, not know why it is listed there. Pale Moon browser in its Addons & Plugins shows no listing of any Java.

Do I need any advice on this before running the installer for jre-7u1?

This is on the old laptop with Windows XP s.p. 3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

I don't think those entries are going to cause any problem, and installing java 7 may even remove them.

If you really want to remove them see the links below.

http://www.ghacks.net/2010/04/25/how-to-remove-the-java-deployment-toolkit-from-firefox/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie9-windows_7/how-do-i-remove-not-disable-java-plugin-2-ssv/eb3b1dd3-47fa-4aa0-ab57-319ccb43115f

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 03:00 AM

Now jre7u1, Java is installed. Firefox 7.01's plugin information shows in the list of extensions, "Java Console is incompatible with Firefox 7.0.1", and "Java Console 7.0.0.1 (disabled)"

Did this new installation of Java 7 fix or help anything?

(Windows XP, s.p. 3)

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Now jre7u1, Java is installed. Firefox 7.01's plugin information shows in the list of extensions, "Java Console is incompatible with Firefox 7.0.1", and "Java Console 7.0.0.1 (disabled)"

Nothing to worry about unless you're a programmer. Firefox has been having trouble with incompatible addons lately, ever since they implemented the rapid release of new versions.

Did this new installation of Java 7 fix or help anything?

I don't think the average home user will notice much change.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history#Java_SE_7_.28July_28.2C_2011.29

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users