Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox with Bing...wait, what?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:39 PM

Mozilla, has joined up with Microsoft to make a special version of Firefox that uses Bing for its default search engine and home page.

Blasphemy! :o

Full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/networking/firefox-partners-with-the-evil-empire/1579

Seriously though, Mozilla is going down the tubes fast and is just trying to save their hide, if you ask me. :thumbdown:

PICNIC - Problem In Chair, Not In Computer

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:34 AM

Mozilla has really been stuffing up lately. After there release of Firefox 5, it's been going downhill. Bing is literally garbage, Google has a much better search engine.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:12 AM

Mozilla has really been stuffing up lately. After there release of Firefox 5, it's been going downhill. Bing is literally garbage, Google has a much better search engine.

WWhich is why I use Chrome. Except at work, where I am now... Also, while on the topic, has anyone had any problems using Firefox in a 64 bit OS? That was the big rreason why I started using Chrome.
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Which is why I use Chrome...

One thing stopping me is I haven't found an effective AdBlocker for Chrome (DOUBLE Blasphemy! @Google, LMAO)

What (if any) extensions, add-ons,gadgets, hosts file, etc. do you use?

@ninja: ROFL @ Firefox with Bing...wait, what? :hysterical:

>>>Still, in a move that was as unthinkable as Bill Gates using an iPhone, or Linus Torvalds announcing MS-Linux, Mozilla, the company and non-profit open-source group behind the Firefox Web browser has gone over to the dark side… I mean partnered up with Microsoft to release a special version of Firefox with Bing as its default search engine.<<<

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 October 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:29 AM

Ill still use Firefox, the other browsers out there need to be be finely tuned and debugged like Chrome, Opera, and a few others. Chrome for me was the biggest headache to ever come to my computer. It was slow clunky and extremely forgetful after a week of use cookies would not get remembered, flash would constantly fail preventing me from using YouTube, Memory use was far greater then that of Firefox with the same number of tabs opened.

This was all on the following machine:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/38ROnpZBv2FYlBg6aCFDupK

So until google gets their act together and fixes Chrome I will be forever dedicated to Firefox.

#6 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Sacrilege!!

We all know that BING stands for
Because
It's
Not
Google
In the beginning there was the command line.

#7 Required Field

Required Field

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

I was never really that impressed with Firefox anyway. I never saw how Firefox was better/faster/safer than ie.
"Most quotes attributed to famous people on the internet are fake." -Abraham Lincoln

#8 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:51 PM

Also, while on the topic, has anyone had any problems using Firefox in a 64 bit OS? That was the big reason why I started using Chrome.

No, not really. Other than the usual annoying stuff (plugins like Flash and Adobe Reader being weird).

One thing stopping me is I haven't found an effective AdBlocker for Chrome (DOUBLE Blasphemy! @Google, LMAO)

What (if any) extensions, add-ons,gadgets, hosts file, etc. do you use?

Adblock Plus for Google Chrome (Beta)

It's not as strong as Adblock Plus for Firefox, but it works 90% of the time. I do use the MVPS hosts file, though.

Posted Image Posted Image

20 Things I Learned About Browsers and the Web

#9 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:28 AM

I found Firefox faster for me the Chrome and i like the add-ons for Firefox.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#10 Allen

Allen

• Members
  • 337 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 31 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING I HATE BING!
Hey everyone I'm Allen I am a young web developer/designer/programmer I also help people with computer issues including hardware problems, malware/viruses infections and software conflicts. I am a kind and easy to get along with person so if you need help feel free to ask.

#11 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2011 - 10:19 PM

This is just sad that MOZILLA would want ANYTHING TO DO WITH MICROSOFT!! (Bing is disgusting)

#12 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:57 AM

I would have to agree with all of you Bing is crap/disgusting but i have Microsoft fanboy friends who praises Bing for how good it is :angry:

>Michael 

#13 packets

packets

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

" Almost the entirety of Mozilla’s income — 97% of $104 million — arrives in the form of royalties from the Firefox search box, and the lion’s share (86%, $85 million) of those royalties are paid by the default search engine: Google."
How browsers make money, or why Google needs Firefox

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

Here's the catch, The Mozilla-Google contract expires shortly (the one that says Google will pay X amount per search, and that Google will be the default search provider for all main releases of Firefox). Mozilla obviously wants to put a little pressure on Google to make sure that Google doesn't decide to abandon Firefox for it's own product (Chrome). That is all this is about. Lets face it of the major Search engines bing was the only viable option because MS can meet Google's donation whereas Yahoo! is going bankrupt.

Posted Image

#15 keyboardNinja

keyboardNinja

Bleepin' Ninja

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,815 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

Good points.