Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winsock Files Might be Corrupted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Siryu

Siryu

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:33 PM

Feel free to skip to *** to get straight to the point.

Some time ago, there were 3 Microsoft Updates that had something to do with XP .NET framework or something of the sort (I do not remember what they were exactly -- I checked in installed updates under Control Panel, but I didn't see anything with the familiar name). I found it odd since my OS is Vista, so I simply waited for my computer to automatically update on its own (which happened the next time I shut it down). After that, it started acting a bit weird: the monitor would automatically reduce its volume on its own and the keyboard would not respond properly. When I restarted the computer, I found that I couldn't connect to the Internet because the dependency services/groups were not functioning properly. I also got a message saying that Winsock2 was missing. I restarted my computer again, and it gave me the same messages. Using system restore didn't work either. What I did next was download WinFix from http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259 (using another computer) and installed it. It no longer gave me the message about Winsock2, but the Internet still didn't work (dependency services/groups still were not functioning). After working through the registry and modifying the acceptable login accounts for various services, I managed to get them running again (I compared the services with those of another computer, and they now seem to more or less match up). Now I no longer get the message about the dependency services/groups failing, and an incoming network can be detected. However, I still can not access the Internet. Also, the computer is connected to a local network with another computer (the 2 are connected to the same router), but it can not detect the other computer, which it used to be able to do. When I type in "ipconfig /release" in the command line, I get an error saying that an address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint. It seems that while my computer can detect an incoming network, it can not detect anything else on the network.

***Looking around, I found that the Winsock files under network components in msinfo32 should be

File c:\windows\syswow64\wsock32.dll
Size 15.00 KB (15,360 bytes)
Version 6.1.7600.16385

File c:\windows\system32\wsock32.dll
Size 18.00 KB (18,432 bytes)
Version 6.1.7600.16385

These match the Winsock files for all the other computers I checked. The computer I've been talking about, however, does not have these files (the WinFix program I used is specifically for XP and not Vista-applicable). It has 2 files of different versions and smaller size. I'm guessing this might be the problem. Does anyone know how to fix this (using "netsh winsock reset" in the command line does not work)?

Edited by Siryu, 26 October 2011 - 08:55 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Hello, I found this link you can try unless you already did Winsock Repair

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users