Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Desktop Freeze - Stumbling in the Dark

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Robbinsblood

Robbinsblood

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

As mentioned, I don't want to be a nuisance, but I've come here before and you guys are the only ones I can count on.

Okay, the story so far:

I inherited a sketchy Dell Inspiron laptop from my brother, and even when I first recieved it, it was a real piece of work. From what he has told me, I have surmised that it had a history with viruses and malware prior, specifically one of those malware bugs that pretends to be a mandatory malware removal program, that closes off access to the internet and almost all other programs. Using a renegade friend of his, he managed to 'half-assedly' recover control of the laptop, by removing parts of the malware to the point where it no longer popped up constantly at him, and he could regain connection to the internet...sort of.

The only programs that could access the internet were AOL; internet explorer and other attempted browsers could not seem to connect, as well as Yahoo messenger, updates for programs like Flash Player and anti-virus softwares. Now, my brother is a simple man, so let's overlook the silliness of him still using AOL, and cut to the problem.

I've been in possession of the computer for a few weeks with only a little tinkering and for the most part, it seemed to run okay, if a little slowly. However, as I booted it up the other day, upon loading the Windows desktop, it had a habit of freezing almost immediately, within about 10-15 seconds, which is just enough time for me to attempt to accomplish nothing. I can enter Safe Mode(which I am currently using, through AOL, to get here, ugh) and the system32 command prompt if I have to, but I don't know what path to take to get to the root of this mysterious computer's past and cut out the cancer that is the problem. I've tried Malwarebytes, Spybot, two system restores, and various resets just to try to find a lead, but I got nothin'.

Can anyone help me in the proper protocol to try to salvage this relic? Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users