Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Delay before POST

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sotsiak

Sotsiak

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:56 PM

Hi, I have a problem with my PC. When I power my computer there is a delay of ~20 sec before POST. I just see a blank screen and after 20 sec the BIOS screen. I tried to start my PC with no external devices, I removed everything (keyboard, mouse, sound, screen, printer etc..) but I still wait some time until I hear the beep. What should I try, what do you think is the problem? Thanks

Here is some of the specifications I found:

Motherboard - Asus P5KPL-CM
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200
Memory - 2GB
Graphics - ATI Radeon HD 4800
LG DVDROM and a 600GB hard drive
OS - Windows XP Pro

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nicholas Basso

Nicholas Basso

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:01 PM

I've had, in the past with older machines, graphics cards which had their own "startup screen" that showed before the system started to do POST. However, that doesn't sound like the case. So it takes 20 seconds before the system starts going through its POST? It could be an issue with your BIOS. Have you checked with the manufacturer to see if a new BIOS update is available? I might suggest contacting Asus for support on the board, perhaps it's a known issue with them. None of your hardware stands out as particularly "problematic". If you want the cleanest boot possible, did you remove the optical and hard drives to see how it POSTs with only cpu, mb, ram, and video?

EDIT:
After that, if that doesn't change it, remove the video card as well (leave the HDD and Optical out) and see if it beeps sooner. If so, video card may be it, but still check if it's not the PCI-Express bus on your board?

Edited by Nicholas Basso, 26 October 2011 - 05:02 PM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,584 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

Is that the only problem you are having? Does the system work as expected other than that? If so, the solution is to turn on the computer and not watch it boot ;)

#4 Sotsiak

Sotsiak
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

No the 2o sec delay is not throught the POST but before! And yes the system is running fine with no problems.
Ok, I'll try to boot with no drives and I'll tell you the result.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users