Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cristie

Cristie

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

Greetings; I am new here and have looked through some of the forums to see if one of my concerns has been addressed, and so far haven't seen it....please forgive if previously addressed.

This concerns the MS updates.

I have several MS Updates awaiting download, and several do not even apply to my Browser, Tools, etc. I have read what is included in many of the updates and don't know what to make of the fact that my Help and Support (msconf and System INformation) don't work anymore, as well as the ACPI Power feature, the advanced setting in Internet Options, and appears these FIXES are included in some of the updates. These features did work before I reformatted my harddrive!!!!! In my Windows\I386\compdata file and down to power, there is a .txt doc states: "During setup the software currently installed for Softex/Phoenix Advanced Power Management will be replaced with an updated version that is compatible with this version of Microsoft Windows. The previous version will be disabled during the upgrade."

Upgrade? What upgrade?

any help would be greatly appreciated.....I NEED MY HELP AND SUPPORT BACK :hysterical:

Edited by hamluis, 26 October 2011 - 02:45 PM.
Split from different topic, PM sent new OP.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Whats the make/model of the system?
Did you install all appropriate drivers from the manufacturer's website starting with the chipset drivers (if needed)?
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 Cristie

Cristie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Howdy Bleepin...... Thank you for your prompt reply and I am happy to be a member here....thank you for your welcome!!

I have XP Home, 32-bit and I have a Gateway Emachine W3502. Yes, it is dated, but it is in great condition. Also, Sp2. This is the second reformat I have performed. I have not downloaded any updates, mainly because many of them are for Vista and IE 8 (I have IE 7 and happy with it.)

I have used the mfr website, but the driver for the VGA driver download contains >95 characters and will not update the driver so I am using the generic video driver (DevX). I am pretty sure I have the chipset installed.

I have run the DDS.....thank you so much.....Cristie

#4 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:46 PM

Here is the link for your drivers. The chipset drivers are not necessary. Download the video to the system and install it.

"(msconf and System INformation) don't work anymore"
Please explain what you mean by this I am not sure I follow you.
In the beginning there was the command line.

#5 Cristie

Cristie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Hey again....I have downloaded the drivers from emachine site, but the VGA (ATI/AMD) driver download contains a number that is over 95 characters and I get a failure notice when I attempt to install it......I have contacted the mfr with 0 interest on their part.

Next: when I type msconfig into the Run field, I get an error notice that Windows cannot find msconf. When I click the System Information, I get a pop up that indicates Help and Support cannot be opened because a service is not running and to start the service Help and Support. (I am pretty sure I designated Normal Startup in the startup menu after a big scare and haven't seen that menu again....).

Upon start up today, the IE icon that is always on the desktop is gone....also from the Start option.

I realize there are a lot of problems here, and there are some that I have not listed. I imagine some are operator error, but some are not.

I ran the Process Explorer yesterday, and made no changes, simply observed that IE was using a lot of resources while running. Today, there is no IE icon, and went into Programs and clicked on a bookmark to open IE.

Thank you so much for your attention and interest........Cristie

PS a lot of folks would have given up on this older system and just replaced it years ago. My feeling is that if it wasn't such a challenge, I would have given up when it stopped being a challenge......I have managed to keep it afloat and it is a respectable little system when it is running right....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users