Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop and links under start menu not showing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 schrodl

schrodl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:14 PM

I was attacked by virus that started SECURITY 2011 pop ups. It hid all my documents and settings subdirectories and links. Originally I had to run fixmbr and fixboot from the command line in order to get my laptop to even boot. I have ran malware bytes several times and removed viruses. I ran unhide.exe and my subfolders and links are accessable but the start menu subfolder show nothing (blank). I have went back to a pre-virus restore point. The desktop folder and links are present but they do not shown on screen when I login. Task Manager is not available unless I login under an alternative administrator login on the computer. AVG is not running properly. Several items such as resident shield are inactive and will not start. I have ran ccleaner and rkill. How do I get my desktop to show and my start menu links back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:34 PM

Sorry about the confusion in the other topic, but can you try the following:

UnHide which will restore hidden files. But I see that you ran ccleaner, what all did you do with CCleaner?

Also can you identify the exact fake malware that infected your machine?

#3 schrodl

schrodl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

UnHide which will restore hidden files. But I see that you ran ccleaner, what all did you do with CCleaner?

Did a normal clean with all options selected except wipe clean space and did registry cleaner until no issues appeared.

Thanks

#4 schrodl

schrodl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:45 PM

Did a normal clean with all options selected except wipe clean space and did registry cleaner until no issues appeared.

Thanks

I have ran unhide but my start menu subdirectories are still empty. My desktop is does show under my C:\Documents and Settings\username\Favorites but it does not appear on screen when I log in with the user profile. The task manager also remains grayed out.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

Well if you did a normal clean then you wiped out your temp files where this kind of infection likes to store moved files. Unfortunately the only way to get back to what you want is to reinstall all your applications that are not showing up.

#6 schrodl

schrodl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

Well if you did a normal clean then you wiped out your temp files where this kind of infection likes to store moved files. Unfortunately the only way to get back to what you want is to reinstall all your applications that are not showing up.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users