Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Leak, can't solve!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 IguanaGrrl

IguanaGrrl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

Hi everyone!

My computer sprung a memory leak on one of my svchosts, and I can't figure out how to fix it.

I'm running Win XP Pro and have already gone through two different anti-virus programs (Avira and Vipre) and two anti-malware/spyware programs (Super Antispyware and Malwarebytes) and confirmed I am definitely NOT infected with anything.

I've done some research and a lot of sites seem to point the finger at a bad Windows SP3 update, but when I attempt the patch fixes they've suggested, I receive an error stating that I've already updated beyond the patch.

The problem just really started over the past couple of days, but I can't remember doing any installations to prompt the issue.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:36 PM

I suggest thzt you tell us...just what you mean by 'memory leak" and what the symptoms of such might be, in your mind.

Also curious as to how you diagnosed such.

Louis

#3 IguanaGrrl

IguanaGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

The computer starts up and acts normally, but if you watch the Task Manager, as time goes on, one of the svchost.exe files starts to creep up in how much of the memory is used until it has used nearly 100% of the CPU. It is also using an incredible amount of virtual memory.

If I end process on it, it will cause minor issues to the appearance and general use of the computer, but it seems to calm down the leak a bit for a short while.

Going to reboot now so I can get a good screenshot for you of it prior to ending process on it...

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

May be of some value:

How to determine what services are running under a SVCHOST.EXE process - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial129.html

Louis

#5 IguanaGrrl

IguanaGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:38 PM

Well, I rebooted and while it does not show that it using as large a percentage of CPU, the ACTUAL amount of memory being used and the virtual memory is insane.

I've attached images and you can see the offending svchost.exe at the top.

I actually downloaded process explorer earlier today in efforts to figure out what was causing the problem...

BITS
EventSystem
helpsvc
NLA
RasMan
Schedule
SENS
TapiSrv
Themes
w32time
winmgmt

I've attached an image of the services as well.

Attached Files

#6 IguanaGrrl

IguanaGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Now I'm back up to where the CPU usage percentage is going wild. :(

I've attached a new pic showing this. It's really frustrating, I can't figure out which part of the service is having issue. :( Please help?

Attached Files

#7 IguanaGrrl

IguanaGrrl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

I finally successfully booted into safe mode (it kept auto-restarting each time I tried previously) and I was able to run a fix_svchost executable file I found that referenced memory leaks due to Windows Update. It didn't seem to help, though. :(

Any other thoughts?

I'm either definitely NOT infected, or whatever it would be is hiding from the view of 5 different anti-virus and spyware clients, yet this problem continues. I really want to avoid having to re-image the system at all cost. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users