Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anti-virus Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cvgurau

cvgurau

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:03 AM

Our family computer is a mess. We have Norton Anti-virus (I think), but the subscription has long expired, and no one seems interested in renewing it. No one cares enough, I guess. I mean, our printer's been out of ink for months, but no one wants to invest the $40 bucks for a replacement.

I digress.

Norton wasn't that great, anyway. What I need is some not-crappy software that'll get rid of whatever viruses we may currently have (and from the frequent slowness, screen jumps, and a multitude of other, equally annoying problems, I gather we likely do have), and prevent other viruses from hopping aboard at their earliest convenience.

Given the penny-pinching tendencies hinted at above, free software (shareware, I mean, not pirated), would probably be best.

Thanks ahead of time,

CVG :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:26 AM

There are many free AV programs available
AVG: etc
A quick google gives many resources

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navc...ee+anti%2Dvirus

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:11 AM

There are several excellent applications that are free; perhaps the best and most widely used are:

AVG: anti-virus.
Spybot Search and Destroy: anti-spyware
Ad-AwareSE: anti-spyware

Links to these, and other recommended free applications can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:12 PM

Thanks, guys. :thumbsup:

jgweed, your link was a treasure trove. :flowers:

Now, which of the many, many programs listed in the antivirus, antivirus/trojan/spyware scanners, and Firewall catergories do you think are best? Which do you use?

I only ask because I want to be sure that what I'm using is the best.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

You should only use 1 antivirus and 1 firewall program. This means disabling MicroSoft's ineffective firewall, which most third party firewalls do when installed.
You can and should run as many antispyware programs as your system resources will allow. You limits will be your amount of RAM, and available hard drive space. If you have 512 mb of RAM and do not game or video image edit you should be covered. If you highend game (almost anything above internet arcade type games) or edit and burn video you should think about 768mb or 1 gb of RAM.
Online virus/worms/trojans/malware scans should be setup before you need them. Once infected you will be doing good to start programs much less install them. Again setup as many as your resources will allow. In this case since they are not running in the background the amount of RAM is not a big issue, but for Windows to function properly you need 20% of your hard drive free.
When possible leave your computer on 1 or 2 times a week to allow you programs to update and run undisturbed. I set mine to start run at midnight and stager them out until about 5 am. Also a scan in Safe Mode every couple of weeks is a good idea.

I have a partical list of programs I recommend and use. I hope this have been of help.

Antivirus (Run only one.)
AVG Free Edition Antivirus (I personally use)
Avast Home Edition Antivirus Freeware
AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Freeware
BitDefender 8 Free Edition

Antispyware
Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (2000,and XP only)
Spybot Tutorial
AdAware SE Personal Edition Tutorial
SpyBlaster Tutorial
SpywareGuard Tutorial

Trojan Removal Tool
Ewido Anti-Malware After a 14 day trial it will not scan automaticily(2000, and XP only)(Features)
A Squared Free

Online scans
Trendmicro's Housecall Internet Explorer Only
Trendmicro"s Housecall FoxFire Only
Panda's ActiveScan Internet Explorer Only
F-secure's Virus Scan Internet Explorer Only
SyGate's Trojan scan
eTrust Antivirus Web Scanner Internet Explorer Only

Removal Tools
Kaspersky Removal Tools
AVG Manual Virus Removal tool
MacAfee Stinger Virus Removal Tool
Symantec's Viurs Removal Tools
BitDefender Removal Tools Free

Utility
cCleaner
Everest Home (hardware and software information)
Belarc Diagnostic Tool
BIOS beep & POST codes
Firewall Security Test

Firewalls (Run only one.)
Zone Alarm Free for Personal Use
SyGate Personal Free Edition (I personally use)
OutPost Firewall Free
Jetico Personal Free
Kerio Free Personal Firewall

Best of all... they are free.

Edited by acklan, 28 January 2006 - 10:16 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Boyo

Boyo

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:08 PM

There are a lot of diiferent firewalls out there, but I really love ZoneAlarm. I use ZoneAlarm Pro, but they offer a free version that is in one of the top 5 freeware firewalls available.

Also highly recommended freeware virus scanners would be AVG and Avast. It is also a good idea to at least once a week use a free on-line virus scan. TrendHouse, BitDefender and Panda are at the top.

Visit each website and decide which product fits your needs and computer use.
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ @2.64GHz|AC Freezer 64 Pro|Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe|Corsair 2GB PC3500LLPRO|eVGA 7900GT CO Superclocked|SB Audigy 2 ZS|Logitech MX1000|WD 74GB Raptor|WD 320GB Caviar SE16|WD 250GB Caviar RE16 eSATA Mobile |Lite-On DVD/CD with Lightscribe|Enermax Liberty 620W|Lian Li PC7 Plus II

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:48 AM

... and I always mention that sygate rose to the top of my firewall test bed.
I tried several of the others.

It is still available, and doesn't need ongoing support like updates.
The link above shifts to Simtel because sygate sold out to symantec,
(who really needs all the help they can get, I think).

Oh, and winXP's firewall is good. It will work better than none, that's for sure.
It just doesn't offer the documentation and user flexibility the others do.
It also does not block out-bound traffic, which is good & bad.

Good, if you mis-configure your third-party firewall and foul up things royally,
at least MS doesn't do that automatically for ya'.
Bad, if you already have a dialer or a keylogger of some such malware on your PC that
wants to send info out.

If you have a clean PC, the advice you're getting here will generally keep it clean.
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:01 AM

Acklan and I seem to both use AVG and Sygate. I find them both very easy to use and they have all the necessary features and a few more.
Ad-AwareSE and Spybot are the apogee of anti-spyware applications and are "must haves;" although you can use as many as you want, these two should identify and quarantine almost all of the problems the average user would encounter.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 09:19 AM

Just my 2 - but I also use AVG Free and Sygate, and have used them both for years without a problem!

I also use the Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta (BTW - MS has plans to come out with a version for other OS's) resident in memory. I keep AdAwareSE and SpyBot Search&Destroy on hand for the really tough jobs!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sal

sal

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 08:06 PM

well i happened to run Avg Free Addition for Antivirus
You can also get a free trial of Norton Anti Virus for 30 days and then unsuscribe.
You can use S& D (Search and Destroy), and Spybot are also
great anti spyware scanners.
YOU can also get a free scan off of housecall.trendmicro.com
and it will get rid of most of your stuff.

#11 cvgurau

cvgurau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2006 - 08:07 PM

I tried to install AVG Free, and got this message:

Local machine: installation failed
Installation:
Error: Action failed for registry value HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{3486DF65-1D90-406A-A072-30629910F113}\LocalServer32:: creating registry value....
Access is denied. (5)

What's it mean, and how can I fix it?

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 20 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Are you the computer administrator? You have to have administrator rights to install programs. That means whoever was the person who set up the computer is the account that should be used. In addition to installing AVG, you need to uninstall the Norton/Symantec programs that are outdated. Make sure that you uninstall the antivirus as well as LiveUpdate and/or LiveReg and any other Norton/Symantec programs. You don't want LiveUpdate constantly running in the background trying to update definitions for a program that no longer exists.

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts and see if it says "computer administrator" under your name.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users