Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Display For System Restore And Control Is Empty

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 portia

portia

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:47 AM

Hello, I need help with my pentium 111 windows millenium edition computer. Every time my teenage daughter used the computer there was something new installed. I ask her to remove some of her programs when she bought her own computer and boy! She removed more than I wanted. When I open the control panel it is empty, and when i tried to access the system restore it opens, but is blank with only the border to identify it. I also am having trouble when trying to move from page to page on the web. Some click heres, I cant click. I started up in safe mode and ran my adware, spybot, hijack this, and virus scans. Nothing major came up. Just a lot of cookies. I have checked many sites and havent come across anything like this. Im really desperate! I would greatly appreciate any help I could get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:36 AM

Well for one thing if you are useing Win 98 you do not have System restore it came out in Win ME

You could try scanreg /repair from the command line.
If you still have the OS installation CD you could do repair or fix of the system
You can try SFC /r from commandline

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:27 AM

:thumbsup: to BC portia,

You did say you had a Windows ME system.
Running System File Checker is a good starting point but you will need your WinME CD or the location of the CAB files on your hard drive.

I'm not very familiar with ME but I'd be looking for a Repair Installation option after booting from the Windows ME CD. Sorry I cannot find any details at the moment.

:flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:41 AM

Thought I would lean a had Rimmer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/185836/EN-US/

I had a problem with my daughter installing downloads against my wishes. I found Core Control. This will lock down you computer. You can secure accounts. That means no more by-passing with the esc key. You can block feature like Ctrl+alt+del or block drives. Just don't forget the password.
You can make ME as security as W2k or XP.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:12 PM

You're right, Rimmer - a repair install might be necessary in this case. In that regard, IIRC, ME is very similar to 98. The biggest problem with ME is that it does not contain a System File Checker. That is a new "feature" of ME where the SFC runs continually in the background. In other words, there shouldn't be any damaged system files that ME doesn't automatically replace. HA! (It was such a bad idea that you'll notice SFC is back in XP.)

But it's also possible that there is an infection on the machine which keeps some features from opening or working correctly. I've cleaned Machines where the OS was like that. One I just repaired would not let me into MSCONFIG or even Task Manager, and in Safe Mode Explorer refused to start.

And I've also seen XP machines where Control Panel was empty. I'm thinking that I re-install if the OS is too broken.

Another possibility is a failing hard drive. If Scandisk is running every time you restart, it could be system files sustaining damage.

Also, running Hijack This and deleting everything would cause some serious havoc. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users