Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

An annoyance in Ubuntu 11.10

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

One thing that I have found really annoying in Ubuntu 11.10 is the launcher being on the left side of the screen. Constantly, when I go to click the back button on my browser, the launcher pops out on the screen. The launcher can't be relocated on the screen, so I went looking for an answer. While searching, I saw where a lot of other folks were getting annoyed by it also.

Below is the link I found, that gets me around the problem. I first had to install CCSM, then navigated to the Unity Plugin, and set Reveal Mode to bottom left, then robooted. Now, that pesky launcher doesn't show while browsing unless I move the cursor to the bottom left of the screen.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/40980/can-you-move-the-ubuntu-unity-launch-bar

I've seen so many folks complaining about Unity, I can't help but wonder if they might make Gnome available in the next release again?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

thanks for posting that is what i did. still dont like unity sticking with xfce for the time though i have unity,kde,lubuntu,gnome classic and xfce installed
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:34 AM

Linux Desktop Faceoff: GNOME 3 Vs Ubuntu Unity | Lifehacker Australia

QUOTE FROM LINK ABOVE:
If you want to install GNOME 3 on Ubuntu, just head into the Ubuntu Software Center and search for GNOME Shell. Install it, then log out of your system you should see a small gear icon on the login screen, which you can then use to boot into GNOME 3 instead of Unity.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

which you can then use to boot into GNOME 3 instead of Unity.

Thank you!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:43 PM

Thanks buddy215, I'll give the Gnome shell a go in a bit.

Something interesting I noticed - I often take a peek at Distrowatch just to see which distros are the most popular. It has been for quite awhile, that Ubuntu seemed more popular than Mint, but I just looked at the page hit rankings for the last 7 days, and Mint has made a major jump over Ubuntu - perhaps a lot more folks other than myself are fed up with Unity getting shoved down our throats?????

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:39 AM

You're welcome, rigel.

Keith1---I've been really pleased with 10.04 and have no plans to upgrade until it loses support. It just works.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 1002 Richard S

1002 Richard S

• Members
  • 277 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 30 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

-I've been really pleased with 10.04 and have no plans to upgrade until it loses support. It just works.

Me too!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users