Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Can anyone give me some documentation on what it does in each step? We use it all the time at work, and it fixes more than just rootkits, though we have no idea why.

I know it's dangerous to use but I have yet to see it do damage to someone's computer.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 26 October 2011 - 11:31 AM.
Moved to AV forum. ~ OB

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

sUBs, the developer of ComboFix, has asked that the inner workings of the tool not be discussed in public in order to safeguard and protect the integrity of the tool from malware writers.

:step1: Questions about ComboFix and how it works:

ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here

Safeguarding ComboFix from malware writers is necessary and important so that we can continue to use it without attackers having knowledge how to defeat it. Everything we discuss can be read by the bad guys. Yes, they read forum topics looking for clues on how to circumvent our tools. We don't want to provide any information they can use against us so we deliberately limit discussion which sometimes may appear vague or not fully address a specific question. That's the decision by the creator of ComboFix so we hope you understand and it should not be taken personal.

The only public information that is available can be found in this authorized guide: How to use ComboFix.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 sausage

sausage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:17 AM

Alright, thanks for the reply. :)
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:53 AM

You're welcome and thank you for understanding.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users