Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Favorites Bar

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 geologist

geologist

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:46 AM

When I click on a page to add a site to my favorites bar, I get an icon which easily identifies the site, eg a monitor for Bleeping Computer and a padlock for my on-line-bank. When my wife tries to do the same on her account, she does not get the icon identifying the site but instead gets an internet explorer icon. The result is that she has a whole line of these and must hover over each in turn until she finds the required site. Is there alteration I can make so that her Fav bar is the same as my own, with each icon identifiable with a particular site?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:53 PM

Hello geologist,

Those icons are "favicon.ico" files that are downloaded and stored in your temporary internet cache when you visit a web site.

Here are a few suggestions:

Try deleting your wife's internet explorer browser cache:
  • Open IE, select "Tools" from top menu and click "Internet Options."
  • Delete "temporary internet files."
  • Next, click on one of those favorite bar sites, wait for the page to load, then press "CTRL + F5" to refresh the site.
  • Does the correct favicon appear? If so, repeat for each additional site on the favorites bar.
If the above doesn't work, you could delete the icon cache database file in your wife's profile, restart windows and the database file will be rebuilt. This involves using the command prompt.
See this link for a "how to.": http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie8-windows_other/wrong-icons-in-address-bar-and-favorites-list-in/8bf4adcc-b645-4be3-adc4-fdcad70c789a

Regards,
Brooks

#3 geologist

geologist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:13 PM

Thank you so much. I didn't even access your link because your so easy to follow instruction worked. Lang may yer lum reek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users