Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No recovery option

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sealab865

sealab865

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

My friend has been having trouble with her laptop because im trying to find a recovery option on but all the ones i know arnt avaliable and her laptop turns off after 8 seconds but she can go onto safe mode

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:59 AM

My friend has been having trouble with her laptop because im trying to find a recovery option on but all the ones i know arnt avaliable and her laptop turns off after 8 seconds but she can go onto safe mode

Hi -
Just to clarify the problem as I read it. The laptop will not stay turned on in normal mode for more than 8 seconds.

As some makes do not use the same settings can you please post the Make and Model -
For example I know how to set my Toshiba but my friends HP is not exactly the same -

Thank You -

#3 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

ok i know that she uses a toshiba but we carnt find out when it turns on what version it is

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

The laptop will not stay turned on in normal mode for more than 8 seconds.

Hi again -
If the problem is like I have described above then my basic solution should be this - - And it should work in Safe Mode -

Start > Control panel > Power Options > Select >> Choose when to turn off display (on the left side of this screen) -

From here is a Drop down list of lengths to stay on prior to going to Sleep mode or Shut down.
Mine is set to ; Battery 1 hour , Plugged in 4 hours -

Regards -
P.S. If this is hard to find I can provide a screen shot for you -

EDIT - Please let me know if this is the correct setting for your system / computer and if this has worked
Thanks -

Edited by noknojon, 26 October 2011 - 06:05 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

ok i know that she uses a toshiba but we carnt find out when it turns on what version it is

Look on the bottom of the laptop. See if there is a sticker with the model number.

If there is one, make note of the model number and post it if what noknojon suggested does not work.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

Thanks Q-Evie -

I am now assuming it is a Toshiba Satellite laptop (or very similar) as they are the most common Toshiba laptop.
This would be written on the keyboard area as the top is opened.:busy: Actual Model version is usually only minor.
Those settings I listed are the options that I have on my Windows 7 installed Toshiba Satellite laptop.

The next main question is - How long has this computer been like this, or was any change made about the time of the problem showing".?
Also was there any other problem showing on the computer that has made you try for Recovery Options, or is this just regular backup time ?

Thank You -

#7 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:46 PM

Toshiba recovery option ... https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletinDetail.jsp?soid=2737864&pf=true

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#8 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 06:52 AM

ill have to post back to you later after i go down her house and try those solutions also I LIVE IN BRITAIN your times are so diffrent from mine about midnight for me was about 7 pm for you

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

Hi again -
That is no problem, just please keep us updated on the problem and your progress -
You will note that we are from all over the world. Europe, America, India, and yes even Australia.(Your last post was about Thursday 10PM Australian Eastern time)
We just like to find out if one or more of the given solutions have finally solved your problems -(Currently about 8 AM Friday Aust time)

Regards -

Edited by noknojon, 27 October 2011 - 03:46 PM.

#10 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

omg this is being so annoying im having a lot of problem trying to quarantine JS/Agent.pbj also we carnt seem to find the laptop...

#11 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

ok we found the computer but now something weirds going on whenever we start up normally it has 2 window 7's to choose from. the first one turns off like above but the 2nd one says it cannont boot up because a required device is inaccesable ideas?

#12 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:07 PM

its a toshiba satellite pro L450d factory settings

#13 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:08 PM

This here works wonders.. http://www.partitionwizard.com/free-partition-manager.html

It's allow you 2 options.

1. you can rebuild the MBR for the disk which might be corrupted.

Option 2, which is to set the recovery partition as active. You should then able to boot directly into it.

#14 sealab865

sealab865
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 02:15 PM

also i have already restored it once so did the restore get rid of the D: partition

#15 Lefty3120

Lefty3120

• Members
  • 112 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2011 - 04:04 PM

Do you have recovery disc's for the machine?

How recently was the computer restored to factory settings?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users