Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam In E-mail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 doopi

doopi

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:54 AM

Hi, I'm trying to help my dad fixing his computer, in his work it is important to have the e-mail that he has because of all that has his address, the problem is that he get so much spam that he is turning nuts :thumbsup:

can anybody help how to get writ of them.
......There goes more to marriage than four bare legs in a bed......
....Be wiser than other people if you can, but do not tell them so.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 08:53 AM

Having a more or less "public" E-mail address can result in a lot of spam that must be deleted on a daily basis, especially if you use a business address for other than business communications, which I suspect is the case with your dad's address.
Many E-mail providers will filtre some of them for you that they can readily identify, as well as allow you to manually identify uncaught messages as Spam; help him understand how to use both features.

If it is impossible for him to change his address for business reasons, then encourage him to set up several OTHER E-mail addresses to use for trusted friends/family, and for filling out internet information (e.g., memberships or registrations); the second of these can be "thrown away and replaced" if they become over-spammed.

Quite frankly, if the 7000 per quarter number is correct, it is probably worth his time and effort to change his business E-mail address, get a couple of additional throw-away accounts, and save the time and effort he is expending on SPAM deletions.

Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 28 January 2006 - 09:00 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 doopi

doopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:41 PM

Ok is there any program i can yous to get writ the spam, ho about mail washer?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:37 AM

If you know most of the clients he could write a meesage rule in OutLook Express to move the email to a speific folder. This won't help for the customer who is trying to contact him for the first time, but once the rule is in place it would be much easier to read his mail.
I also have my friends start the message with a unquie first word(s) and sort by messages. Instruct clients to start the subject line with <Dad's company>- My problem. Then all the messages would be grouped together. Would not work for the client that can't follow instructions.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 doopi

doopi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:58 PM

Thanks people :thumbsup: I will tray to figure out ho we can do it.

It's so fo..... :flowers: annoying all the "adult" spam that come in the mail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users