Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard not working after virus/malware - registry info included

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nadjahs9

nadjahs9

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:05 AM

I posted this on the External Hardware forum but did not receive any responses in two days so I'm hoping someone here can help. I am running Vista Home Premium.

After 2 days I believe I've finally removed the infections off of my computer but am still facing a problem where the external keyboard no longer works (I'm using the on screen keyboard for now). Ths has been the case both in normalmode and safe mode. Doing some initial research, similar threads suggested looking into the registry editor for the Upper Filter for key 4D36E96B-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318- for reference I'm looking at this thread: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic278884.html. The only value data I see there is 'kbdclass'. I'm not sure what one would expect to see here, so any further help/suggestions are greatly appreciated. If there is other diagnostic info I can provide please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nadjahs9

nadjahs9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 05:34 AM

For anyone experiencing this same issue, I actually got it back in working order by uninstalling the driver in Device Manager, scanning for new hardware (so that it recognized the keyboard) and then restarting. I was hesistant about trying this but figured I didn't have much to lose since the keyboard wasn't working anyway. Here are the steps I took:

1. Accessed Control Panel -> Device Manager.
2. Found the Keyboard entry in the list and expanded it.
3. Right-clicked the actual keyboard and selected Properties.
4. Clicked the Driver tab.
5. On the Driver tab, clicked Uninstall. Once the Uninstall completed (it took mine about 5-10 seconds) the Driver list on the Device Manager screen refreshed and I no longer saw a Keyboard entry.
6. On the Device Manager screen, selected Action -> Scan for New Hardware. After a few seconds I saw the Keyboard entry re-appear.
7. Restart computer. At that point everything was back to normal.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:02 AM

Thanks for posting your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

#4 Winterland

Winterland

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 07:09 AM

+1

Per Louis, it really is great when members post the solution to a problem, so thanks for taking the time.

Onward,

Winterland

Photobucket removed my cool flag - idiots!

Every calculation based on experience elsewhere fails in New Mexico.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users