Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DEP Closing down IE websites

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tarboro

Tarboro

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

Starting a week ago websites that I had been viewing have been abruptly closing down due to Windows Data Execution Prevention (DEP). There is no real pattern to it. It just happens out of nowhere. An error message comes up that says:
"Internet Explorer has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available"

Once I close the message, the website closes and the following message is also shown:

A malfunctioning or malicious add-on has caused Internet Explorer to close this webpage.
Windows Data Execution Prevention detected an add-on trying to use system memory incorrectly. This can be caused by a malfunction or a malicious add-on.

I disabled all the add-ons and this issue still persists. Do you have any suggestions on how I can stop this problem from routinely occuring? I have ran anti-malware scans and it has come up clean.

Edited by Tarboro, 25 October 2011 - 08:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

Go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351
Applicable to all Windows systems.

Tekken

#3 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:08 PM

Go to this link http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351
Applicable to all Windows systems.

Thanks! I would prefer to use a method that doesn't disable DEP. I am concerned that disabling DEP for Internet Explorer may lead to virus issues. Any suggestions on what would be the best approach?

#4 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi Tarbora,

You can try and reset IE to see if that fixes the issue.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Pauline

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

I would prefer to use a method that doesn't disable DEP.

The link does not make you disable DEP.

Tekken

#6 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:23 PM

I would prefer to use a method that doesn't disable DEP.

The link does not make you disable DEP.

The workaround instructions in the link details how to disable DEP for particular applications.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:09 AM

The workaround instructions in the link details how to disable DEP for particular applications.

You will not choose the second option or make any exception. Your choice is Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only which is the default. I will quote from the link :

If your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, and the DEP error message continues to appear, a program may be installed that extends Windows functionality. This program may be installed so that it causes a DEP problem in an important Windows program or service.

If this behavior is recent and has not occurred before, you may be able to prevent the DEP error message by removing recently installed programs.

Tekken

#8 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:29 PM

You will not choose the second option or make any exception. Your choice is Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only which is the default. I will quote from the link :

If your computer is configured to turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only, and the DEP error message continues to appear, a program may be installed that extends Windows functionality. This program may be installed so that it causes a DEP problem in an important Windows program or service.

If this behavior is recent and has not occurred before, you may be able to prevent the DEP error message by removing recently installed programs.

Thanks! The non-exception option is already selected. I'm not sure what to do. Should I re-install Internet Explorer? There isn't a recently installed program which would have caused this.

#9 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

Hi Tarbora,

You can try and reset IE to see if that fixes the issue.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Pauline

Resetting IE basically starts you with a fresh version of Internet Explorer.

Pauline

#10 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:38 AM

Would resetting IE actually fix the DEP issue? That would lose all the browsing history, right? Although, the favorites can be saved I suppose

#11 Tarboro

Tarboro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

I reset Internet Explorer and have not had any issues since. Thanks!

#12 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Tarboro...Thanks for posting back and letting us know the solution that worked for you

Have a great day !
Pauline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users