Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Get disconnected randomly from wireless

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lillielle

Lillielle

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

I'm honestly not sure this is the right forum for this, but it seemed closest.

I have internet through Cable One. It's been acting up off and on for months, so I assumed it was solely to do with Cable One this time. We've had router problems where even the phone service doesn't work, and last week or so, Cable One had to reset our wireless entirely. Maybe that has something to do with it now.

I have an Acer Aspire 5750 laptop, running windows 7, 64-bit. I've checked the drivers for the wireless card, and it says they're all up to date. I have not yet checked how well it works on a wired connection, but I intend to do that soon (today or tomorrow), and I also want to see how well it works at my parents' house, or basically, on another wireless connection.

The problem is basically this: I can be on the Internet fine for hours, and then it will drop. It will say "not connected, pick a connection" and show me the nearby connections, but not mine. And then it will say "no networks found" to connect to...even though I know there are. I have been going and resetting the router because that's what troubleshooting told me--that there was a router problem, not an internal computer problem--and then restarting, and it comes up wirelessly connected again. But last night on a hunch, I just restarted without going and checking the router, and the internet connection came up fine again.

So I'm confused. I looked around online for anything--that's how I found out to check the wireless drivers--and I really can't think of anything else. I know apparently some routers don't work well with windows 7? And I wondered about that, but I've had windows 7 ever since I moved here, and it's been fine. Although maybe resetting the wireless connection did something? My aunt's computer is windows vista and on at least one occasion, has been connected still and worked fine when my computer dropped it.

I have another laptop that also runs on windows 7--I haven't been able to check all the times, but I know one time at least, it was still disconnected, but it would actually show me networks to connect to instead of telling me that there was absolutely nothing.

I don't know if this is related, but I've noticed since this has been going on, another website I go to will have a lot of smileys randomly not be able to show up, just show up as x's. That never used to happen before.

So yeah, if anyone can...help, please? Thank you. :thumbsup:
Acer Aspire 5750, Windows 7 64-bit, Intel i3 2.1GHz
"Neither the angels in heaven above nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Are you connecting wirelessly with secured password on your router? Click on wireless icon and look for other unsecured wifi connection that your currently connecting simultaneously. Right-click that connection and disconnect then connect only on your own network. A secured wifi with pre shared password and configuring the adapter to automatically connect only on your home wifi would solve this problem. Other things to look for is to manage wireless networks on network and sharing center. Move on top your wireless connection. Make sure your wifi is secured and that neighbors are not able to access your network wirelessly and vice versa. Check also your distance and interference from cordless phone or microwave could cause wifi to drop.

Tekken

#3 Lillielle

Lillielle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 12:35 AM

Yes. It says that this is the only connection I'm connected to. And I believe it's secured--we have a security password, it's just that my aunt's the one who picks it, and it's not exactly...hard to figure out, I imagine, if you're actually dedicated even a little bit to it. So I don't know if anyone's stealing it.

Really, the only thing that has changed is that the entire wireless connection was reset by cable one. I have the new security password and all and it works, but it still...dies after several hours. Could that do it somehow? Or some problem with the old one? The Cable One guy even renamed our connection, actually...
"Neither the angels in heaven above nor the demons down under the sea can ever dissever my soul from the soul of the beautiful Annabel Lee"

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 27 October 2011 - 01:58 AM

Does all computer connecting wirelessly drop on that instance or just a particular PC? Try staying closer to the wifi router if its not a distance issue. If the wifi router is an extension of you ISP modem. You might wanna diagnose first connecting to wired first or LAN either by the router or directly to the ISP modem.

Tekken

#5 Lillielle

Lillielle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:52 PM

It seems to be just that PC. My aunt's doesn't, and she's the one farthest from the router. The router's just on the other side of this wall. It's also doing it faster/more, instead of taking several hours before it cuts out, it takes less than an hour (or did tonight, anyway). I'm going to leave this computer on to see what happens (this is my old computer, which has windows 7, but is a dell inspiron 1525 that had the upgrade from vista, and also had to be completely reformatted after a hard drive death). And try the wired connection with my primary laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users