Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 Pro 32bit to Win7Ult 64bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Perturabo

Perturabo

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hello all.
Welp, I made a mistake when I first put my computer together, in that I chose a 32bit version of Windows. As of right now, I have 8g of ram and a few games that would prefer 64bit, so I kind of screwed myself.

Fortunately, I now have a chance to get Win7 Ultimate 64bit on the cheap through school. I'm wondering at the process I'm going to have to use to do this. My operating system is currently on my C drive, which is a separate SSD, with only a couple other programs and games. Effectively all of my music, documents, other programs are on the D drive on a separate HDD. I realize I'm probably going to have to reinstall just about every program, especially games, because of 32/64 bit programming differences.

My question is, can I get away with only formatting the SSD to install the new OS? Should I remove the media HDD while I'm doing this process? Will my documents/music etc be safe on the HDD? Is there some other route I should take besides formatting the SSD?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:26 PM

Hello,

Did you purchase the 32bit version of Windows 7?
If you did then you should have the 64bit version on the discs as well.
If you already have a genuine copy of windows 7 you can you use the product key for either 32bit or 64bit with the same license. So you don't have to buy another one.

And yes you can keep your media hard drive intact. I'm assuming that your SSD is smaller then your Media Drive. so when you go to format and install just be 100% your choosing the SSD drive.

Yes all games and applications will have to be installed.

#3 Perturabo

Perturabo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

The version of Windows I'm currently running is only an upgrade, I went from XP to Win7 Pro, but it was only a download key, not a disc. That was part of the initial problem as well.

I was a bit misinformed about what I can get from the school as well, it seems the Win7 Ultimate is only an upgrade edition. They do however, have a download of the full version of Win7 Professional 64bit, so that's what I'll be getting. I doubt I really need the Ultimate version for anything, anyway.

Does this change much? The only thing I'm not sure about is how to use the download for a full new install. Is it typically an .iso that I have to burn onto a new disc? I'm assuming that formatting my SSD is the first step, then rebooting the computer and booting from the new install disc.

#4 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

The only thing that Ultimate offers different from Pro is: App Locker, Bit Locker, Direct Access, Branch cache, and you won't be able to boot native form a VHD unless you have Ultimate. So unless your studying Windows 7, more then likely you won't be using those things.

Yes so just download your ISO and burn it. I use IMGBurn

Then you just boot to the DVD and install to your SSD drive if you need more detailed instructions let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users