Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do not run combofix in compatibility mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 losduarte

losduarte

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

Intro: Hello, after running Rkill, I tried to run Combofix. But, an error message appeared, "Do not run combofix in compatibility mode." I don't even know what compatibility mode is. I ran DDS and ASW; I have those logs. However, I must be doing something wrong when I run GMER, because when I return to my computer it is shut off and no log is to be found anywhere. Please advise.

I will upload what I have. Sorry, for not having the GMER log.

Symptoms: when browsing the internet there is a suspicious sluggishness, particularly noticeable when using the scroll bar, even when using nimble browsers like K-Meleon, IQ, Green Browser, etc. Even when using large browsers like Mozilla, I have 150MB of RAM available. So, I have ruled out a memory issue. When not browsing and using programs like MS Word, Windows Explorer to search for files, Acrobat reader, etc, the sluggishness persists.

Steps taken: I have run Malawarebytes, Spyware Terminator, and Glary Registry Repair, CC Cleaner, but no noticeable change. My anti-virus is AVIRA, which has not detected any anomalies.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ried

Ried

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Hello losduarte,

For now, please do not run ComboFix on this Win2K machine.

Steps taken: I have run Malawarebytes, Spyware Terminator, and Glary Registry Repair, CC Cleaner, but no noticeable change. My anti-virus is AVIRA, which has not detected any anomalies.

Have any of those tools detected anything? How long ago did this issue with sluggishness begin?

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2010, 2011, 2012

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."

#3 losduarte

losduarte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hello losduarte,

For now, please do not run ComboFix on this Win2K machine.

Have any of those tools detected anything? How long ago did this issue with sluggishness begin?

Hello, sorry for not responding sooner. On November 9, 2011 Avira gave me a warning, "C:\WINNT\system32\dllcache\wsecedit.dll
[WARNING] The file could not be opened!"

The sluggishness started one month ago. Thank you.

Attached Files

#4 losduarte

losduarte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:01 PM

Hello all, does anyone have any suggestions?

#5 Ried

Ried

• Malware Response Team
  • 1,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Hello. Your AV is not detecting any malware, and Combofix is no longer compatible with Win2k. I would suggest posting in the Windows 2000 support section for troubleshooting advice regarding the slowness of the computer.

Microsoft MVP - Consumer Security 2010, 2011, 2012

"It is one life whether we spend it laughing or weeping." "Take the time to laugh--it is the music of the soul."

#6 losduarte

losduarte
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users