Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

internal hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pentazoid

Pentazoid

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

I cannot boot my 320 gb wd scorpio hdd . I have windows vista on this hard drive rather than windows xp or windows 7. This is the message that appears everytime I try to boot from that hdd:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

I followed these directions(http://pcsupport.about.com/od/errorh/a/hal-dll-missing-windows-7-vista.htm) that supposedly would aid a user in resolving this problem.

Tried booting from safemode, that did not work.

Try to changed the boot sequence and make the removable disk drives appear first on the boot sequence list , followed by my hard drive, that did not solved anything. I am using a ibm thinkpad T43.

Since I did not have access to a windows vista recovery disc , I used a windows 2000 professional recovery disc to attempt to reformatt my drive and while it did not take me to a BSOD(it did not show the typical bsod message) when I attempted to re-install my a new os on my hdd, it did take me to a blue screen.

I had problems before with the 2010 error when installing my hdd on my ibm thinkpad t43 laptop. Even then, when I wanted used the ubuntu linux os to access my files on my 320 gb hdd wp scorpio on my ibm thinkpad t43 and transfer and store them on my 500 gb external hdd, but the 2010 error seem to be an external problem not an internal problem like the hal.dll error that suddenly appeared on my hdd. I know that the hal.dll is related to registry corruption , and that the registry

I want to do a complete clean installation by wiping all the data off my 320 gb hdd and starting from scratch. I think then the problem will finally go away. How would I go about attempting this without a recovery disc. What do I do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Update: I have now attempted to format my harddrive on my r51 ibm thinkpad laptop rather than my t43 thinkpad laptop, and so far , format has been successful. If format is successful which means my harddrive will be wiped clean fully, will this error be eliminated then?

Edited by Pentazoid, 25 October 2011 - 11:55 AM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

A format wipes out all data stored on the hard drive.

But...you speak of laptops and laptops use recovery/restore-to-factory-default options...none of which can be called standard.

I suggest that you read the instructions for using such...as prepared by the manufacturer of the system.

Louis

#4 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

A format wipes out all data stored on the hard drive.

Yep, thats my aim. ITs my aim because I think it would get rid of the C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll. error that keeps popping on my screen.

But...you speak of laptops and laptops use recovery/restore-to-factory-default options...none of which can be called standard.

What do you mean? Do you mean I can format the hard drive without a recovery disc?

I should mentioned that I attempted to format my hard drive and progress showed 100 percent. But, when it then proceeded to copy the files, it failed and stopped @ 37 percent. I used a windows 2000 professional operating system and the previous os on my hdd is a windows vista.

Now when I attempt to boot my hdd from both my r51 ibm thinkpad laptop and my t43 thinkpad laptop, instead of the "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file." appearing on the screen, this message appears now: "invalid partition table". Perhaps because I partially completed the job because it showed a 100 percent format of the hdd , but only completed 37 percent. BTW, everytime I re-attempt to install the windows 2000 pro os on my hdd, I have to repeat the whole process over again ,(i.e attempt to format hdd, then attempt to copy files), but the same pattern results(100 % format, files copied @ 37 %)) . Is it the windows 2000 os o and if so do you think I should used a newer os instead? Or do you think the problem entirely lies within the internal hdd itself?

Edited by Pentazoid, 25 October 2011 - 07:55 PM.

#5 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:36 AM

Do you mean I can format the hard drive without a recovery disc?

Yes, all you need is the Windows OS Install disc.
ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#6 Pentazoid

Pentazoid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:01 AM

Do you mean I can format the hard drive without a recovery disc?

Yes, all you need is the Windows OS Install disc.

I have a windows OS install, but I wasn't able to complete the install because the CD formatted my hdd 100 percent but only copied my files up to 37 percent. What should I do? Again, should I used a different os because Windows professional 2000 os just might not be effective?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users