Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXE Files not able to be run upon startup.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ukgoalie32

ukgoalie32

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:49 AM

Hi there,

Having downloaded a dodgy file from a P2P website I am now unable to use any .exe files upon start-up.

When I start up the computer it runs fine. But when the final desktop screen comes up the programs in my quickstart menu have no icon pictures nor do those in my start menu.

If I go to 'my computer' then under the 'tools' tab, select 'folder options' then under the 'file types' tab select 'new' then add EXE before clicking 'advanced' and assigning EXE to an application the icons do reappear in my quick start menu and those programmes are then able to be used.

The icons in my start menu do not reappear until RKill is run however, and once this has been run all executable files run fine.

This seems very strange, since the RKill report shows nothing has been modified, and the report reads:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 25/10/2011 at 15:20:37.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

Rkill completed on 25/10/2011 at 15:20:42.

I have run Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, Microsoft Security Essentials as well as Registry Mechanic to no avail.

I wonder if anyone had any ideas how I could get my computer back to normal without having to run RKill and change the settings for the EXE file extension each time I start up? I have also noticed that Microsoft security essentials does not appear in my notification area (bottom right hand part of the screen)as it was previously upon starting up...

I hope to have given as much information as possible and any help would be much appreciated!

Regards,

Ben

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2011 - 10:59 AM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_sundar7701_*

Guest_sundar7701_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

If the issue started after installing super antispyware then uninstall it because SAS has a major drawback .It sometimes remove exe file association on every restart.

Edited by sundar7701, 25 October 2011 - 11:08 AM.

#3 ukgoalie32

ukgoalie32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 04:52 AM

sundar7701,

Thanks very much for your advice. Thinking back, after downloading the P2P files I immediately did a scan using malwarebytes, super anti-spyware and MS Security Essentials to check that nothing nasty had been put onto my system. Superantispyware found some tracking cookies and that was it. The problem only arose when i restarted the computer.

However, having started my computer up today in order to look at this forum, the problem persisted. As usual, I could not open any programmes until I had ran RKill, and it provided the following message:

This log file is located at C:\rkill.log.
Please post this only if requested to by the person helping you.
Otherwise you can close this log when you wish.

Rkill was run on 26/10/2011 at 10:46:57.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP

Processes terminated by Rkill or while it was running:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\grpconv.exe

Rkill completed on 26/10/2011 at 10:47:03.

I was then able to come onto the forum and check for any replies. I uninstalled Superantispyware and (excitedly) restarted my computer. However, the problem still persists...

I have also noticed that there is no 'program files' folder on my C Drive as there once was...

Any more ideas would be much appreciated,

Ben

#4 Guest_sundar7701_*

Guest_sundar7701_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:04 AM

This is a valid one

C:\WINDOWS\system32\grpconv.exe

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html

Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users