Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Needs Driver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Walt

Walt

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

I have an old Compaq Presario 5304 and my Lexar JumpPro 2.0 won't work becasue it doesn't have a driver. It is not internet connected so I downloaded a driver to a floppy from another computer but can't get it installed on the Compaq(windows 98). I am a novice so be specific if you have advice. Thanks. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:24 AM

I have an old Compaq Presario 5304 and my Lexar JumpPro 2.0 won't work becasue it doesn't have a driver. It is not internet connected so I downloaded a driver to a floppy from another computer but can't get it installed on the Compaq(windows 98). I am a novice so be specific if you have advice. Thanks. :thumbsup:

yeah i had this problem to when I got my Jumpdrive 2.0 98 doesnt support USB Pen drives right out of the box. The packaging that your JumpDrive came in should have a website that carry's the driver. I'll post the link to their drivers page. Just locate your product click and D/L.
Lexar Drivers

Posted Image

#3 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:29 AM

Thanks for the link Blackspyder but this computer only has a dail-up modem but I have cable internet. I tried to download to a floppy from another computer but couldn't get it to work.

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 04:19 AM

Your best bet is to buy a ethernet card or better yet use AOL's 30 day free trial and access it from that computer its pretty much the only way.

PS yeah I know the feeling you got just got done w/ my second computer which runs 98 by default and refuses to detect my ethernet card and will not allow me to connect to the internet (I dont have a land line so I use cable).

Posted Image

#5 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:04 AM

Thanks Blackspyder,
Same with me. I don't have a land line either. Guess I'll check into getting an ethernet card. Any suggestions on a particular site?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

Hope you don't mind me making a suggestion...
http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wirnetprod.html
http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wg311nar.html
http://store.yahoo.com/justdeals/wag311nar.html

Edited by acklan, 01 February 2006 - 12:08 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 04:25 AM

Thanks acklan, I have ordered the ethernet card. Should know in 3-4 days if it works. What do I connect my wrist strap to when I'm cleaning out the case and installing the card. Will the case still ground without power supply plugged in?????

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

I have always had a grounding station at my work bench. I has a wire run from a copper water pipe to a bolt in the bench. When I workon computers away from the house I just touch the outside of the case, and have never had a problem. I have heard of people using the third prong on a wall outlet but that is very dangerous. Make sure you are not on carpet when you work on any computer. That will charge you like a battery.
Where did you by the card from from?

#9 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:21 PM

Its the netgear nic from the site you recommended.

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 04:28 PM

PCI or USB? Did it work?

#11 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:05 PM

PCI. Still waiting for it to be shipped. I'm nervous. Never installed a card before.

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2006 - 06:17 PM

It's easy. Unplug the power. Remove the cover. Remove the screw to the back plate where you wish to install it. Plug in the PCI card. Replace the screw. Replace the cover. Plug the computer in and attach the ethernet cable to the PCI card/port. Rock and Roll.

#13 Walt

Walt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:31 PM

OK, I decided to lownload the USB driver from another computer and try to install it manually. It appears that the manual install was successful because I saved a notepad document then opened it up on my notebook. However, the little program that resides in the system tray that lets you click on it to safely remove the USB does not show up. Is this critical and if it is how do I get it to work?

#14 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

The most important thing is that you do not remove the device while it's reading or writing. As long as it's idle, it should be OK. In my system, I have a card reader and cannot use the safe-remove feature because it will remove the entire bank of readers and I have to pull the card when it's not being written/read to/from.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users