Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Install any Window Update that requires a restart

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C5Drvr

C5Drvr

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:00 AM

I am having trouble installing any windows update that requires a restart.

Here is a view of my Windows update history
Posted Image

Here is the error msg

Posted Image

Here are my basic system specs.

Posted Image

Basically, every time windows tries to auto update, it downloads, installs, then says a system restart is required. It restarts, acts like it is installing and gets to Step 3 of 3, goes from like 0% to 100% complete in a matter of a few seconds, then states that the install was unsuccessful and that is must revert back to its previous configuration.

I have tried searching and doing some of the things that Windows suggests, but to no avail. I would like to start over from step zero, just so I don't miss anything.

I appreciate any help with this. I do travel and am out of contact from time to time, so I will try to post when I will travel and we I return so that the post does not go dead when I appear not to respond.

Thanks ahead of time.

Edited by C5Drvr, 25 October 2011 - 09:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

Have you tried...manually installing any of these updates?

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server Update Services installation issues - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

Microsoft Windows Update Troubleshooter - http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/troubleshoot/

Louis

#3 C5Drvr

C5Drvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

I have tried the MicroSoft FixIt app, it says it fixed problems with Windows Updated, but the updates still fail and it goes back to "Reverting Configuration" after each start up.

I have also tried downloading and manually installing updates. I have done this with IE9, and again, it fails upon the restart.

#4 C5Drvr

C5Drvr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:48 PM

Still looking for help on this.

#5 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

Some good info here: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-windows_update/error-code-80071aa7/70a484f7-fca5-4d6b-baff-805160380a86

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users