Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer grinds to a halt for 20 minutes....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 candle00

candle00

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Hello,

i am new to this forum after a friend recomended posting my problem.
I am running a Dell Netbook on Windows 7.

I would be very greatfull if someone could please advise me on how to fix this problem.

When i start up windows it can take between 20- 30 minutes for the netbook to settle down and to function.
In the cpu usage it says that its hovering around 89 -100% cpu usage.

Mozilla firefox does nothing for these 20 minutes.

to try and solve this i uninstalled it and reinstalled it. I ran a full AVG scan. I ran a full malaware scan.
I ran ccleaner and also a regedit program. Everything came up clean. Yet the computer will do nothing for 20 minutes after start up. I am using only 35GB of 140Gb on c drive. Have uninstalled anything which is not in use.

Very frustrating as waiting 20 minutes for the machine to settle, and not knowing what is causing this is very frustrating.

Could anyone advise on what it might be?

thanks for any help in advance

dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 LouisR47

LouisR47

• Members
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:07 PM

Hello,

Are you running more then one real-time monitoring anti-virus program?

You should try to configure your start up.

Start button

Type msconfig in the search Programs and files bar

Select the start up tab

Deselect all click OK then restart your computer.

If the computer is still really slow we will have to try something else.

If it is working better then do all the same steps except the last. This time start checking boxes one at a time click OK then reboot. If you select a program and it takes a really long time again then you might have found the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users