Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Player

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 VividGroovy

VividGroovy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:26 AM

Problem 1:

Windows Movie Maker seems to have an AI that invents new glitches with every video I do.

I'm doing a comedy movie review show. I add audio clips over video clips. The only way to see/hear what the video will really be like is to play the timeline from the very beginning. If I begin watching from anywhere else in the timeline, the timing of the audio in relation to the video changes randomly each time I play it, and I can't tell how it will really be when I publish the video. I didn't used to have this problem.

Problem 2:

Now, I also can't watch my published videos in Windows Media Player, because it refuses to play any WMV files. It plays all other files just fine. I had this problem once before, but it fixed itself somehow.

Then, a few weeks ago, my computer (running Windows Vista) decided to install a big update of some kind. Shortly after that, I got a virus from a website I visited, and used System Restore to undo it, but I accidentally sent the computer back before the update, and it installed the update all over again. (I also had to go through and unhide all my documents, pictures and videos, which the virus had marked "hidden"). It was after that that Windows Media Player began refusing to play WMVs again. It says "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct."

The file is not in use, the permissions section is properties says I have "full control", and I can't find anything relating to "proxy settings" on the computer.

Windows Movie Maker still plays my published WMVs, but it's so much easier to see if they're right with a larger picture.

I just logged into the admin user on the computer, and their Windows Media Player plays WMVs just fine. The virus only affected me (their files were also not hidden), so I'm thinking it has something to do with that.

Problem 3: At the same time, my FLV player stopped working. It just says "FLVplayer.exe stopped working", as if the program crashed, whenever I try to open any FLVs.

Edited by VividGroovy, 25 October 2011 - 07:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:03 AM

System restore will not get rid of a virus. It's possible you are still infected.
Did you run your antivirus and other antimalware programs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users