Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver or bad vid card???

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Ukie079

Ukie079

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 02:24 AM

Hey all,

So my wife and I bought two new PCs to play WoW on.

Vista 64 bit
3 gb RAM
SLI GTS 240s
quad core 2.67ghz

I am a big gamer (my wife sticks to MMORPGS) so I bought BF2 bad company when it came out. I was getting a ton of tearing in the skyline so naturally I updated my vid drivers. BF2 for the most part worked fine after that but other games I used to be able to play fine (such as WoW) would crash. Crash meaning my monitor would go to sleep OR it would exit to windows and tell me a vid driver failed only on certain raid bosses. I tried multiple different driver versions at this point with no luck. So I dealt with this for awhile (it happened once every 12 hours of gaming) till i was sick of BF2 and I rolled back my drivers. Well it was still happening with certain games even though I rolled the drivers back. So I tried a bunch of different drivers (again) including beta versions with no luck. I at this point broke down and called dell tech support............they told me that:
1. I could not install drivers from nvidia.com because dell specific hardware does not support these drivers. They told me to roll them back and use drivers only off the dell website. (is this true?)
2. I could also have a bad video card and to start testing vid cards by removing one and playing for awhile on it and see what happens.

Well I did this (took out one vid card) and my games worked, which is ultimately what I wanted, and I lived in the World of Warcraft happily for the next 6 months. Well now my laziness has caught up with me and my warranty has expired. BF3 has come out and it's happening again. When I installed BF3 it made me install new drivers (from nvidia site). It was playing very poorly obviously with one GTS 240 but with no crashes (I only played for 45 secs). I was feeling confident at this point so I reinstalled my other vid card and enabled SLI. After about 30 secs of play, my monitor goes to sleep and I have to hard reboot my pc to get it back (this happened 3 times). My natural instinct is to install BF3 on my wife's identical PC and see what happens. My issue is if I have to update drivers again I don't want to mess up her PC because she will string me up if she can't play her WoW tomorrow. So, do you think it's drivers or video card related. Also, is it possible that the bridge is bad that connects my two vid cards?? Thoughts???

I also want to add that I have upgraded monitors in this time but the problem still exists

Edited by hamluis, 25 October 2011 - 08:30 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users