Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network card type

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 macdadluke23

macdadluke23

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

I wanted to see what type of ethernet card i have whether it is a 10/100 mbs card or it is a gigabyte card. My motherboard specs for LAN is: NVIDIA nForce® 680i SLI™ built-in dual Gigabit MAC with external Marvell PHY
Support NVIDIA DualNet® technology

Does this mean my ethernet card is 1 gigabyte transfer rate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:46 AM

It means...you are reading the specs for onboard NIC, which is typically 1GB transfer rate (max) these days.

I have no idea if actual transfer rate ever approaches that...I've never checked it since...it is what it is, with great dependency on the connection type, IMO.

All those names you threw around...refer to chipsets, etc...which is not necessarily important. The important thing is to see that the proper drivers are installed. Since it's onboard, the drivers will either come from the system manufacturer or from the motherboard manufacturer (if self-built/custom. As long as the correct drivers are installed...I see no reason to worry about what chipset is ueed, etc. on a NIC of any sort.

http://www.marvell.com/transceivers/fast-ethernet-phy/

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users