Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Router Purchasing Advice

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:11 PM

I don't know too much about wireless routers, and I am wondering how powerful of a router I need.
I am going to switch from DSL to comcast internet. The plan I am getting gives me 20MBps download. If that's not fast enough I will be upgrading to 30MBps download speed. There are only two computers in the house and they are both lap tops.
So I will need a router that can handle 20MBps. I've read that you shouldn't trust the bandwidth stated on a router because they often perform at half or less of their stated bandwidth.

I've also read that the signal frequency of 2.4GHz gets corrupted by electrical appliances such as Radio, Cell phones, Microwaves. But a frequency of 5GHz doesn't reach very far.

Then there is this confusing "N" issue. I keep seeing routers with the letter "N" in it. What's up with that?

I've heard that dual band comes in two flavors: the first being you have to switch from one or the other frequency, and the second broadcasting at both the 2.4 and the 5 GHz frequency, allowing maximum bandwidth.

Well, the furthest I will be from the router is 15 feet. So I doubt distance will be an issue.
A big potential problem is that the most convenient location in the house to set up the modem and router will be on top of the rear projection LCD TV (at least I think it's LCD). It will be beside a cordless phone base, and the VCR, DVD player, and cable box. I am worried that these appliances might interfere with the router's signal causing a slower internet, or frequent disconnects.

If the cordless phone is a problem, it can be moved, but what about the TV and DVD player, will these things interfere with a 2.4GHz router?

I realize it's probably best to go with a dual band router that can do 5GHz, but those seem to be two features only found on routers starting at $80 and up. I'm really not wanting to spend more than $50 on a router, and really hoping I can get away with buying a $30 router.

So, do I really need 5GHz or dual band? Do rear projection TV's interfere with routers? Or will a simple cheap router like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166042 allow my laptop within a 15 foot range to access the internet uninterrupted and sustain the modem/service plan's 30MBps download speed without degradation?

oh yeah one more question. Will I need to buy a USB to Ethernet adapter in order to hook up my laptop to the router to set up the connection, or can I just go from Ethernet on laptop to Ethernet on router?

Edited by RB_Kandy, 25 October 2011 - 12:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:35 AM

You will need a router that is capable of connecting to wired and wireless. For wired it is ethernet port that supports 10/100 Mbps as for USB is only on 10 Mbps maximum speed. Wireless Standard N is the latest and by far has better wireless signal range and most routers today supports b/g/n standards. Netgear, DLink are some of the popular router brands. http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/1781.aspx

Tekken

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

I forgot all about this post i made. So I'll update everyone, several months late LOL
The solution was simple, Comcast supplied a wireless router and hooked everything up. The rental on the router and modem works out to $5 and some change. The charge for setting up the router was included in the setup cost of the modem, i.e. it was free.
I don't mind an extra $5 a month, and if it ever dies Comcast will replace it for me for free (same with the modem they rent).
The router is sitting on top of that large rear projection LCD TV right next to the cordless phone base, and yet the signal is strong, never gets disconnected, and delivers enough bandwidth to meet my service plan. And the router delivers a signal even across the street from my house, and who knows how much further.
So, my advice to anyone else with this dilemma is to contact your ISP and ask about modem and router rental and setup costs, and if it's a reasonable price, just let the service technician that comes to your house setup everything.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:35 PM

I hope they set up the router encryption.

I just read about somebody that ended up being sued for downloading copyrighted material over a torrent that he would have never done. Adult movie and he needs special devices to be able to use the internet.

The speculation is that it was tracked back to him via the IP address and it was someone using his unsecured wireless that did the actual download. He ended up settling for Thousands to make it go away as being cheaper than going the lawyer route and defending against it and most likely losing his job over it.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users