Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with TCP/IP Settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 vandy54

vandy54

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:53 PM

I have been having issues with my computer for the last couple of weeks or so. Originally, I had a virus that I posted about in the Malware forums. Here is the link to the thread I created for my computer problems...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic424402.html

Now, my desktop computer is unable to connect to the internet. I am currently using my laptop, which is connected to the same internet as I would connect my desktop with using an ethernet cable. When I plug in the ethernet cable to the desktop, it takes several minutes (sometimes up to 10 or 15 minutes) for the computer to even recognize that the ethernet is connected. Once the computer recognizes the connection, the Local Area Connection says "connected" but when I look at the status, there is no IP Address or anything else listed. I clicked repair but I get the message "Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed."

I have tried restarting the computer, rebooting the modem, and making sure that the properties say to obtain the IP address automatically.

I would greatly appreciate any help that you can give me! Thank you so much for your time!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:29 PM

What computer model is it? Start checking on your BIOS setup. Some BIOS needs LAN to be enabled or Wake on LAN for wired connection to function.

Tekken

#3 vandy54

vandy54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

The computer is an HP Pavilion a1510n. It runs Windows XP. I am a little unfamiliar with the BIOS setup so any additional information on how to enable LAN would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

The key to booting to BIOS will be shown on the splash screen. Mostly known is F2 and some depending on the manufacturer default. Look first on that LAN feature to enable then save and exit. To check on ipconfig :
1. Start then choose Run.
2. Type cmd and hit Enter.
3. On command prompt type ipconfig /all >Desktop\Ipconfig.txt(note on the spaces)then Enter.
4. A notepad text file ipconfig will be save on your desktop.
5. Copy/Paste the info. on your next reply. Use the Edit Menu to Select All and then Copy.
What router/modem model are you using to connect?

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users