Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Hard Drive broken!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MistaFloober

MistaFloober

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

Hey everyone. About a week ago, I dropped my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 500GB Hard Drive that contains movies (digital copies from DVDs), documents, PC Backup, and some backed up pc games, which total about 150 GB. I accidently hit it off my desk while talking on the phone while it was still plugged into my comp and it fell about 3 feet (ABOUT). When I tried plugging it back in, Windows said the drive could be used only if i format it. I know formatting erases EVERYTHING on it and i would rather not lose it, because i know it was just some slight physical damage. Unless Seagate hard drives are that fragile :huh: , does anyone have any ideas of how i could retrieve all my info without formatting?! :o

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,112 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

FWIW: Every hard drive...is "that fragile", which is why they normally arrive in well-cushioned containers. And why they are well-secured when installed in a system.

We tend to think of hard drives as being a solid, well-built metallic thing...well, it is to some extent but the internal components are not such that they can withstand pronounced physical shocks.

You have an external hard drive, which compounds the equation...by introducing an interface (the enclosure) which can also become damaged.

Some Links On Such

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users