Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Atapi.sys Error

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:30 PM

I am getting the blue screen of death. Usually I am playing games when I get it. The error message I get is Driver Irql not less or equal. The error code it provides is atpi.sys error. I looked at my device drivers and there are no ! or red x's. When responding could you please make sure it is easy to understand as I do not speak computer lingo very well yet. Thanks soo much for any help that you might provide.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:20 AM

:thumbsup: to BC bittersweetgirl,

I don't have a solution to your problem, but it would help other to find one if you could give some more detail about your system. XP Home or Pro? what Service pack level? How much RAM do you have? What size hard drive and how much free space is available on it? What kind of video card do you have? What are the games you have the most problem with? What kind of internet connection do you have? What anti-virus and anti-spyware software do you have installed?

Run Windows Update, download the latest drivers for you motherboard and video card from the manufacturers websites and install them.

Let us know if that helps. :flowers:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 01:50 AM

This may give you a start. It is not extact but...

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...md_stp_ottj.asp
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:56 PM

Hello again. Here is what I have.
1. Windows XP home w/service pack 2 that is on automatic update

2. 512 mb of memory recently installed...last week

3. My hard drive is 114.48 gb with 69.39 gb free

4. recently installed motherboard is guru abit av8---Could I have installed this incorrectly? After you install it do you have to do anything with bios or drivers on it, or is that all included in the install disk?

5. recently installed Nvidia Geforce 6600 gt video card.....please see question for motherboard above.

6. I experience problems when playing Quick Quack on Pogo, Guild Wars and Dungeon Lords.

7. My connection is a DSL T1 I believe. I'm not sure about the T1 part but I do have a super fast dsl connection.

8. McAffee virus scan and Spybot search and distroy.

Please forgive me for not knowing all this stuff but I have tried to update the drivers on the manufacturers website but don't know what I am supposed to download. There are so many downloads available that I don't know which ones apply to my system. I would hire someone to take care of this for me but I do have a desire to learn what all this is and how it works. I thank you for your assistance in anyway. :thumbsup:

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

recently installed motherboard is guru abit av8---Could I have installed this incorrectly? After you install it do you have to do anything with bios or drivers on it, or is that all included in the install disk?

Well you could have installed it incorrectly but that's unlikely since the PC works most of the time.
The BIOS - usually the defaults are okay, but check through the motherboard manual for setting up the BIOS as you may have some particular requirement - something connected via the parallel port, boot order, legacy devices that sort of thing.
All the motherboard drivers would have been included on the CD but they are probably not the latest versions.
Ditto for the video card.

I have tried to update the drivers on the manufacturers website but don't know what I am supposed to download. There are so many downloads available that I don't know which ones apply to my system.

Since you have an Nvidia card just go to Nvidia Drivers or a download site like Tucows or Downloads.com and search for the Nvidia Forceware drivers for 2000/XP which automatically installs the correct drivers for your card.

If you tracked down the exact model number of the abit motherboard that you have there should not be that many drivers available. Ignore BIOS downloads at this stage. Get the chipset drivers and any onboard device drivers in the version which matches your operating system.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 29 January 2006 - 01:43 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:32 AM

I downloaded drivers for both video card and motherboard. Then tried to make it crash to make sure it worked and it did crash. The error message is still the same driver irql not less or equal but there is no error detail. I did copy the information it gave me and here it is: Stop 0x000000d1 (0x00000074, 0x000000ff, 0x000000000, 0x807cee29). Then I crashed it again to see if it would give more detail and got this error: Stop 0x000000d1 (0x00000046, 0x000000ff, 0x00000001, 0x807cee1d). Is it getting worse or better? Any other suggestions would be great. Thanks again for all your help. :thumbsup:

#7 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:21 AM

How do you "try to make it crash"? Just by playing the game?

Following a trail of information starting with the Stop Error information you posted leads me to this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810093&sd=RMVP
- which indicates it could be a RAM problem or pagefile problem.

There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here Memtest86.
If you run Windows choose the "Windows or DOS" download not the Linux one.

To install Memtest86:
- Extract the files from the zip archive
- Open the directory where the files were extracted and click on "install.bat".
- The install program will prompt you for the floppy drive and also prompt you to
insert a blank floppy.
- To run Memtest86 leave the floppy in the drive and reboot.

NOTE: After the boot floppy has been created you will not be able to read the floppy
from windows. This is normal.

When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight, unless errors come up right away, and then examine the error count.
(If you have no floppy drive there is an iso image available to create a bootable CD.)

Run this and post the results back here please. :thumbsup:

#8 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:23 AM

Hi again,

I downloaded the iso version of the memory test. I copied it to a cd and then I rebooted my pc with the cd in the drive. Windows came up? Did I do something wrong? PC isn't showing any memory test going on? Anyway, so sorry to bother you again with this and thanks sooo sooo soo much for all your help so far. I don't know who I'm going to drive crazy first you or me. :thumbsup:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

Make sure you did not place the .iso image inside a folder on the CD. That is a common mistake. Are you sure your CD it first boot in the BIOS?

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

ISO images have to be written to the CD using a program that's designed to do that. Here's a nice, free powertoy that will let you do this (follow the directions exactly please): http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:43 PM

How do I tell if it is in a folder on the cd or not? And how do I know if the cd is first to boot in bios or not. I'm really starting to feel retarded now. Thanks again for any help.... :thumbsup:

#12 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:56 PM

Can I use Roxio to copy it to the disk? It says I can transfer data.

#13 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:11 PM

How do I tell if it is in a folder on the cd or not? And how do I know if the cd is first to boot in bios or not. I'm really starting to feel retarded now. Thanks again for any help.... :thumbsup:

When you look at the CD after you burn the software if the only thing you see first is a yellow icon of a folder...It's a folder. If you see loose files of a program icon you did it right. In View you select details it will display what format the files are in, Hopefully .iso

In the BIOS you will have the boot order 1. Floppy 2. hard drive 3. CDrom
Make sure the CD is first in line.

Edited by acklan, 30 January 2006 - 03:12 PM.

#14 bittersweetgirl

bittersweetgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:19 PM

How do I get to the bios to put the cd first?

#15 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:21 PM

They is usually a legend at the bottom or right side of the page instructing how to. There are as many ways as there are flavors of BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users