Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had to Reinstall XP, but old files are still taking up space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnlisenba

johnlisenba

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

HP Pavilion Laptop
XP with Service Pack 3
55 GB Hard Drive

Ok...got the whole Blue Screen of Death thing, ended up reformatting and re-installing XP, which I thought erased everything. Certainly everything was gone from the desktop, where I reinstalled the few programs I run, mainly Office, Quick Books, and Itunes. All was fine for a month or two, and now the computer runs very slowly, sometimes taking forever just to open anything. I did all the usual Malware, Spybot, and Antivirus scans...everything was clean. Just by chance I looked at properties on my hard drive ©, and was shocked to see that it was at only 12 GB free space out of 55 GB. I ran a program called Tree Size to see everything sorted by amount of space used. I knew there was no way I had that much stuff, Itunes files take up the most space of anything, and I knew I only had about 20 GB of music files. I did a scan of everything on the drive, and I have found that everything was duplicated when I reinstalled XP, taking up twice the disk space as normal. Under "Documents and Settings", my reinstall added a folder "John Lisenba.John" with all my current files in it, but still shows a folder "John Lisenba" which according to the HD scan, still has over 20 GB of files...but when I click on it, it says the folder is inaccessible and access is denied. Any way to access and get rid of those files that are duplicated to free up space on my HD? Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnlisenba

johnlisenba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:40 PM

I might also mention that Treesize had a utility to remove files shown on its scan, but again I received a message saying I was not allowed access or let me delete them.

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:02 PM

Your hard drive is too small for all the download activity you are making. Plus the operating system required space and system restore it will create. My smallest hard drive on xp right now is 80 Gb. When loosing space, I would be backing up on my portable drives all not frequently use files or documents. So its either you need to replace a larger drive provided it is supported by your computer or acquire a portable drive for easy access and or backup at the same time.

Edited by jhayz, 24 October 2011 - 10:03 PM.

Tekken

#4 johnlisenba

johnlisenba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:57 PM

thank you, but that doesnt answer the question at all. The drive is NOT too small for my "activity", I only have 20 gb of files on a 55 gb hd...I just have them on there twice...

Anyone have a suggestion on the original question of removing the duplicate files?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:12 AM

You have an HP system.

Which means that you probably used HP software to restore to factory defaults.

Typically, one of the options of such...may be save the former install...rather than do a totally destructive restore which would wipe the drive. I don't know, I don't have any HP systems...but the HP documentation for your system...should explain exactly how the mechanism works.

As for the inaccessibility of the old files...you might try taking ownership. When I have used backup software in previous years, I know that the backups sometimes required such before I could move/access the files from the backup.

The inability to delete has nothing to do with Treesize...files can generally be deleted from any app which reflectx those files and/or file paths.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

Louis

#6 johnlisenba

johnlisenba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thank you, that did the trick! :)

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:48 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users