Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changing The Operating System

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ambassador-0204

Ambassador-0204

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:09 PM

I decided, being the genius that I am, that I would upgrade a used computer I purchased. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who don't believe that "requirements" actually means requirements. I think of them more as recommendations. Well, obviously there is a reason that they suggest your computer have certain things before you attempt to upgrade it.

Long story short, now when I turn on the computer (which use to operate fairly well) I have time to fix a meal, take a shower and take a nap before it's finally booted up. Click on a program and let the waiting begin.

I tried to "downgrade" back to Windows 98 in order that the computer may go back to it's old self. Unfortunately when I tried installing the 98 disk it says that the operating system can not install because a more recent version is already installed ( Like I didn't know that!!).
Anyway, are their any suggestions to help me "down-grade". I really don't need anything on the hard drive at this point so if I have to erase things to install it that's really no problem.

Thanks in advance for any help someone can provide.

I'm Learning the HARD WAY!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rizin

Rizin

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 09:25 PM

Hmm... have you tried booting up, tapping F8, selecting the command prompt, and then typing "format c:" (without quotes)?

#3 linderman

linderman

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:53 PM

run dariks boot & nuke (free) on your hard drive >>>>> the drive will be as clean as the day it was purchased >>>> then win 98 wont see anything !!!!
http://dban.sourceforge.net/

after which you will need to partition and format the drive >>>> if you need help or a tutorial on this let us know

regards

joe

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

You can use Digtal Dolly It does not require a operatin system to work. It has a broad range of dish wipes, partition manger, S.M.A.R.T. drive utility, FORMAT utility, and more,.. It is based on Red Hat and totally boot into RAM. It is a 50mb +-. Burn an .iso image. Then just boot.
I totally agree with linderman. A wipe is the best way to get a clean install I prefer a "DoD" 7-pass wipe, but a single pass "Quick wipe" is probabily good enough.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Ambassador-0204

Ambassador-0204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:47 PM

OK, I guess I have to say again that I am a computer idiot so you really have to break this down to bare basics. I had two hard drives in the computer that I was working on. I have completely erased the one but I'm afraid to erase the other because it doesn't act like it will install the windows operating system again. How can i be sure that if I wipe the computer that I'll be able to install the version of Windows that i have (it did not come with that computer)

I did download the hard drive cleaning nuke program however it was an .iso and I wasn't really sure what to do with it. I know I'm beginning to sound like a moron but please be patient with me.

Really in need of a hand here,

Jonathan

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:03 AM

It will take time but you will get there.
1) You have to burn the .iso image to a CD. When you write the CD your software will prompt you for what you want to copy. There will be a drop down box at the bottom of the page. Select the format that includes the .iso. When you burn the software it will make an "image" to the CD. Make sure you don't place the .iso image inside of a folder on the CD or the program will not work.
2) When you have created the CD boot your system. Use the wipe utility to clean the drive. A quick wipe should do. That will wipe the drive with one pass. If you choose the DoD] it will make 7 passes. This will take a very long time.
3) Once you have wiped the drive you first have to create a partition. I have never used dariks boot & nuke but if it has a partition utility partition the drive with a FAT32 partition. That is the only format Windows 98 can use. If not you can use the Window Boot Floppy. When the A:\ fdisk. Folow the instructions.
4) FORMAT the drive after your have partitioned it. At this point you will be able to install Windows 98. Once again you can use the Boot Disk if the other tility cannot. Type in FORMAT c: or whatever your drive letter happens to be, answer [b]yes
when prompted and wait.

Once you have partitioned and format the drive start the installation process.

#7 Ambassador-0204

Ambassador-0204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

:thumbsup:
Ok, just a couple more questions and I may get this thing done.
Is it possible to just remove the hard drive, reformat it in another computer then install Windows 2000 on the hard drive once I return it to the original computer?
The problem that I was having was that I was attempting to run the nuke program however you have to be in dos only inorder to do it. XP will not allow me to be in Dos alone. It does not allow you to go to the command prompt without Windows starting up. I found some articles (not sure how accurate they are) stating that it is impossible to start Dos alone using Windows XP. With XP you can not run Dos alone because unlike 95 and 98 it is not built the same.
Anyway maybe the other program you suggested,the Digital Dolly, would solve this problem too rather than using nuke.
Thanks for all your help thus far. Seems like the more problems I run into the more I learn so I'm not really stressing about it at this point.

Jonathan

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:53 PM

Digital Dolly will have to download it to it's own folder, and unzip it there. Once unzipped you will need to burn an .iso image of the files to a CD. Make sure you only burn the files and not the folder they are contained in. The computer will not be able to see the files at boot if the are inside of a folder. Hence the program will not work.
Could this be the problem with dariks boot & nuke?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users