Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adding any DVD or CD-ROM causes failure

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Polaris922

Polaris922

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:43 PM

Hello all... I've run into something I just can't seem to solve. I have a self-built system that has run for years without issue. Recently it began failing to boot. I've managed to isolate the issue a little and need some ideas on what to do next.

The system posts up with a memory test and recognizes the hard drive and any DVD players attached. Up till now, I've had four of these running. Two SATA and two IDE. Now, when I start the machine, it appears to POST okay, I get a single short 'beep', and then it fails to boot. The system just freezes with a blank screen. I found after several steps that disconnecting all of the DVD writers it posts and loads the Windows XP without a hitch. The system will run fine for some time and then eventually blue screen reset that hits so fast I can't begin to read it.

It doesn't matter which DVD writer I use, whether it's SATA or IDE. I used an alternate power supply, same problem. If the data cable and power are connected to any single DVD it fails to boot. I did a system memory test with mem386 and after multiple passes the 4 Gb of memory passed all tests. I moved on to thinking it had to be a controller on the mainboard so I bought a replacement board and installed it. It hasn't fixed the problem.

Has anyone run into anything like this? I did a forum search but wasn't able to find anything similar. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:21 PM

Yes...I've seen it occur when the BIOS fails to automatically detect new components or changed componenets.

I would go into the BIOS (after connecting all drives) and see if they are all reflected.

If not, I would redetect or hit the "reset to default settings" button...and then see if all are detected.

If so, I would hit F10, which will exit the BIOS and reboot the system.

As always...check that each drive is properly connected...and IDE/PATA jumpers are properly placed.

Louis

#3 Polaris922

Polaris922
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

I appreciate your reply. I did as you stated and went into the BIOS again just to be sure I hadn't missed anything. I reconnected a DVD and checked to be sure it registered. I did it with both an IDE and a SATA drive separately. Each appeared in the BIOS as properly detected ATAPI devices. No problems in the BIOS. I saved and exited (F10) and the system again locked up still at the same point. Thanks for the idea though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users