Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet explorer temp files and other browsers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Toony

Toony

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

I haven't used Internet Explorer in ages. It simply sits on my computer and is never used. I use firefox instead and routinely clear cache, and temp files with CCleaner. I have noticed before that when I select to clear all this stuff, it also removes a bunch of temp files from IE as well despite the fact I never use IE. I compared the number of files removed with the number in firefox and they're about the same amount. My question is, why does IE have all these temp files when I have never once used it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Suggest the next time you use Ccleaner to click on the condensed list of files deleted to be able to
view the files deleted by Ccleaner. You will likely be able to recognize the files by the description given.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Toony

Toony
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

Ok. But why does IE have temp folders if I've never used it?

#4 4dude

4dude

• Members
  • 578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Are you sure its not doing something IN THE BACKGROUND?? (Getting updates for software,etc)

Next time you notice IE temp files,DO NOT DELETE THEM rather go into that folder and double click the files first and see what they are,it might give ya some idea whats going on.. (Open them in notepad)

Good luck :)

Edited by 4dude, 24 October 2011 - 01:05 PM.

#5 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 01:06 PM

Even though you don't use IE, Windows does. For instance, automatic updates.

Edit:
Oops, 4dude beat me to it.

Edited by FlannelBack, 24 October 2011 - 01:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users