Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran combofix accidentally with AVG running

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ITAlex

ITAlex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:32 AM

OK granted I have been in the IT field for approx. 20+ years, luckily this happened on my equipment and not a clients. (It was late and I was tired from working...lol)
The laptop this whole mess happened is my spare Dell Vostro 1000 with Windows XP Home Svce Pack 3 and all updates.
I ran combofix and AVG was accidentally running. It appeared as a clash happened and combofix closed. I tried uninstalling AVG and re-running combofix but it said it had expired. I can not remember which I ran first, superspyware, anti-malware, MSRT, AVG, CCleaner, or Spybot, but one of them said my IPSEC.sys and other was infected and in turn proceeded to removed it. I noticed some of my services were not running now. I checked my events and was getting 7023 and others with messages that this service is not available or ready for deletion and the such. Now I got a new copy of combofix and ran it, and it found one of the rootkits in my files and proceeded to do it's thing. The report finished and I closed it. I tried getting on the internet and nothing happened. I rebooted and then proceeded to re-run combofix. It finished and re-generated a report. *NOTE* both times it did not connect to it's servers to install the recovery console. I tried getting on again and nothing. I remember seeing about running repair it you can not connect and it did not fix it. When I did an ipconfig at a command prompt I got internal error occurred request no supported. contact ms product support services. addition info: unable to query host name.
As of this typing, DHCP Client, DHS CLient, IPSEC Services, Windows Firewall/ICS have not started.
Event Viewer/System shows ID 7003 TC/PIP service depends on IPSec nonexistent, IPv6 Helper Service failed to start due to dependency service.
Any help is GREATLY appreciated and believe me THIS will never happen again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

Hello ITAlex,

(fwiw): Because they don't allow posting of Combofix log files in this forum and an advisor will no doubt want to review your previous log files to see what was deleted, I suggest the following:

Go to the link below, follow all procedures and post a new malware removal request:
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Regards,
Brooks

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

ComboFix issues are not addressed in the XP forum...this protects the OP from receiving advice/suggestions within a forum where malware issues are not dealt with.

Please follow the suggestion made by Artrooks :).

Louis

#4 ITAlex

ITAlex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Hello ITAlex,

(fwiw): Because they don't allow posting of Combofix log files in this forum and an advisor will no doubt want to review your previous log files to see what was deleted, I suggest the following:

Go to the link below, follow all procedures and post a new malware removal request:
Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

Sorry :) And thank you for the assist. :)

ComboFix issues are not addressed in the XP forum...this protects the OP from receiving advice/suggestions within a forum where malware issues are not dealt with.

Please follow the suggestion made by Artrooks :).

Louis

Sorry :) And thank you for the assist. :)

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

No problem, good luck :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users