Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop...now What?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hanna

Hanna

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 07:26 PM

My husband bought me a new laptop for our anniversary (36th) and I am getting it all set up for use. I am lazy. Is there anyway to copy my address book to a CD and load it on the new computer so that I don't have to type in every email address? I guess I should add that it has Windows XP Home edition.

Thanks!
Sharon :thumbsup:

Edited by Hanna, 27 January 2006 - 07:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ZENER

ZENER

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:43 PM

Wat mail application program are you using?

A rather naive way to do it is to send the contacts from the old ones thru mail and open it using the new laptop!! :thumbsup:

Another way is doing profiling....but i dn if you had profiling done in your previous laptop so i dare not advise you on it here.

The last method would be to do a copy and paste on a word doc. and transfer it to a USB device and import it to your new laptop!

Choose one!....its just a method of getting it around. :flowers:
The Uprise of a new Technology is the contributing factor to the failure of many human brains.
In short ==== We are too reliant on Technology.

#3 Kruncher

Kruncher

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:10 AM

If your using the Windows Address Book, or Microsoft Outlooks Personal Address Book, check out my post here (at the bottom):
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...topic=39160&hl=

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

Assuming you're talking about the Windows Address Book the easiest thing would be to Export the address book to a floppy or CD. Open the Address Book, click 'File' then 'Export' select 'Address Book(WAB)' and select the floppy drive or CDROM drive and name the file (keep the .wab ending). On the new computer insert the floppy or CD, open the address book click 'File' and then 'Import' select 'Address Book(WAB)' and locate the .wab file you just made. It should import all your address book entries.
Sometimes this method does not work for some reason, if not try Kruncher's method.

hth :thumbsup:

Edited by Rimmer, 28 January 2006 - 12:39 AM.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 MJB1066

MJB1066

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 10:50 AM

Couldn't the user use the file and transfer wizard on the old computer?

Edited by MJB1066, 28 January 2006 - 11:03 AM.

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2006 - 11:36 PM

That's a good idea MJB1066. I've never used the Files and Settings Transfer wizard so I'd forgotten you could use it via floppy disks.

Hanna - See Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools>Files and settings Transfer wizard on the Windows XP system. This will let you make a floppy disk to capture all the personal settings from your old PC. I'm guessing that would include the Windows address book.
See XP Help or the microsoft website for "How to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard with a wizard disk in Windows XP" for detailed instructions if required.

:thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:31 PM

Thanks ya'll. Sorry I haven't replied. I have been sick! I had my daughter put them in the old way! LOL. But I am keeping all your answers for future reference! I am still trying to get used to the laptop. First I had sound, then I didn't, then my laptop couldn't connect to the wireless router, it has been a pain in the butt. I am still a little under the weather, but it seems to be working good now!

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

Glad you got the problem fixed (if only by delegating it!). Hope your feeling well soon.
:thumbsup:

#9 Hanna

Hanna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:44 PM

Thanks Rimmer, I am feeling better. I am still getting used to this new laptop, but at least I can get my fingers on the right keys now! LOL.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users