Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems When Playing Files in Media Players

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 solarfog

solarfog

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

I have been having trouble getting my computer to run properly since I had to reinstall Windows after a virus. I think I must have selected an option that causes less processes and services to run automatically on start up because only about 20 run at that time.

Because of these setting my computer is super fast and I like that but I don't want to have to go into services just to get any kind of audio at all by starting the Windows Audio service. Of course and to get to the topic at hand, starting Windows Audio doesn't seem to affect audio as it is relate to programs such as Windows Media Player. In other words I can hear sound when I get and error message but not when playing a video file. Furthermore and speaking of error messages when I play an audio file, Windows Media Player gives me the following error message: Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There may not be a sound device installed on your computer, it may be in use by another program, or it may not be functioning properly.

When I check the Device Manager a SoundMax Integrated Digital Audio is present, enabled and working properly. However when I go to Sound and Audio Device properties in Control Panel it says No Audio Device at the top and the remaining fields are grayed out.

So basically I would like to know how I can get sound for video files and how I can play audio files.

Edited by solarfog, 23 October 2011 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 AM

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:47 PM

Hi Solarfog..

The audio service may not be started
Go to Start>> Run>> type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio>> Right-click>>Properties.

Make sure that 'Startup' is set to automatic. Click Apply and okay...Now check the startup status under services..Make sure it says started. If not look to the left and click start service...

Pauline

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Go into Device Manager...uninstall the SoundMax device...reboot.

Reinstall the appropriate audio drivers from your CD or the system manufacturer's website.

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 solarfog

solarfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

Pauline, yes I have noticed that startup is set to automatic each time I start the service. However, I have never started the service and then restarted my computer right after so I gave that a try and it still didn't stick. I am still only able to here audio from error messages which I'm beginning to think is not a sound that comes from the speakers but the inside of the computer itself.

Louis, I uninstalled SoundMax and rebooted. Then when searching online to get the driver I found a forum with someone with the same problem as me and someone said something about downloading a chipset driver and installing that before intalling my audio driver (by the way I have a Dell Dimension 2400). I could post a link to that forum if you want (Dell Community Forum). Anyway I installed the chipset just to be safe and the driver which took a few trys to get it to work as I realized the error message that was telling me to restart was expecting Windows Audio service would automatically startup which wasn't the case (error message: SoundMax InstallShield Wizard - Windows Audio service has been enabled! Please restart your computer and run this installer again). Also once the installation was finished, I went to try out different media files and some wouldn't work. Then one would work, then another and then ones that I tried before started working so I kept trying the others that didn't work until they did and even waited to get home from work to try a couple files that were particularly stubborn and they work too which meant everything was working fine. So I decide I'd do a restart and of course my Windows Audio was still out so I started it and then started clicking media and it did like before where I had to click around for a while until all the files worked which took a lot less trys which is promising.

So all and all, I got my sound back but it would be nice if I didn't have to click around or manually start Windows Audio service each time my computer restarts.

Edited by solarfog, 25 October 2011 - 09:19 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:59 AM

If...Windows Audio Service is the problem...you probably ought to do either a repair install, try installing SP3 again (this cures some problems with XP), or running a repair install of XP.

If it were me, I would also run chkdsk /r from the command line, just as a general file-maintenance step...before doing any of the above.

Anytime you have problems with a function llke audio...you probably need to uninstall the drivers via Device Manager...before attempting to reinstall same. This may remove the problem, since the driver could be responsible.

Louis

#6 solarfog

solarfog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:07 AM

Louis, Thank you! The chkdsk worked and I'm so grateful for having this account because I can always look back at old problems and know exactly how I got them fixed as I probably have had this audio problem before. So yeah, thanks for the tip too. :thumbup2:

Edited by solarfog, 28 October 2011 - 08:09 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Glad you resolved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users